XT or handheld or something else? The fight is on.

er-minio

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I’m having less issues with the handhelds.
Considering switching to those on the gs too. Anyway, I digress…

Maybe I have been lucky, since my first Garmin GPS Quest 1, Montana 600, 595LM & XT, the Zumo XT the XT has been, hands down the best unit I have had by some considerable margin. Screen / display & operation & integration with aftermarket software ie. 'what 3 words'.

A Montana 700i or 610 may well do better

I prefer button operated units for greenlaning. Been happily using a 60csx, recently upgraded to a 64s.
I also use them for hiking and sometimes cycling (on pushbikes seldom though, my cycle computer has breadcrumb navigation that’s enough most times).

Was considering if it made sense to just get a 66sr that is, essentially, a montana with buttons.
But, as the Montana, it doesn’t have postcode search. (As far as I know).

The XT was intended for traveling, general use, and I also do a fair bit of A/B routing.
But so far (3 years in) most times I used it with routes when traveling it has been near to unusable.
I’ll resort to only use tracks.

I tend to plot a lot of routes when I travel, would be nice to be able to use them normally…
Garmin really has to get their shit together.

The Montana 6xx has full postcode search, with routable maps. The Montana 7xx only has 4 digit postcode search, or at least that was the case at the last update.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Yep I meant the 7xx.
I consider you "the source of truth" for that ;)

I'm going to ask on the Zumo forum why the Zumo does those miscalculations and straight lines while routing.
All the shaping points were placed correctly on the road. Same maps.
The only "weird" thing in that route is one Waypoint to be "announced". Nothing else.

I updated my Zumo before a trip to Scotland last week and had no issues with the update, it did do some weird things with slightly different routes as someone else who used the same GPX file. I did lose the spoken navigation when I set it to come home, started off ok but then it stopped after a few hours. It's a cracking unit and having the nearby fuel stations showing on the right of the map saved me 24p a litre when travelling on the motorway!

Sent from my ELE-L29 using Tapatalk

I think the XT is a good unit. More than anything, I think that due to when I bought it in, roughly, last December, I haven’t used it that much. As much as anything else, I think it’s me not understanding how its operation differs from my Nav VI ( which IS a pile of junk) and earlier Garmin devices, of which I am a fan.

I am going to press on, not least as I have my 850 set up for the BMW Connected cradle AND the XT.

New Firmware for Zumo XT

The Montana 6xx has full postcode search, with routable maps. The Montana 7xx only has 4 digit postcode search, or at least that was the case at the last update.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Been using the 610 in the van today to the Highlands on CN
Works a treat with the automotive profile and with the car cradle, lead and speaker
Full postcode search too
Good for off-road motorcycling, MTB and walking by setting up individual profiles for each activity, as well as CN road navigation
I might not bother with the XT as the Montana seems to do it all

Been using the 610 in the van today to the Highlands on CN
Works a treat with the automotive profile and with the car cradle, lead and speaker
Full postcode search too
Good for off-road motorcycling, MTB and walking by setting up individual profiles for each activity, as well as CN road navigation
I might not bother with the XT as the Montana seems to do it all

I use both, except I have the 600 instead of the 610 ( basically the same but the 610 has more memory and a faster processor ) but there isn't really a comparison as they are totally different units for navigation !

I have used my 600 to navigate the Spanish TET from Bilbao to Andorra and then the ride home to N.E Scotland, which was all vey adequate but also pretty basic.
The XT is new to me but even just using basic routing is far superior compared with the 600/610.
If I am going to be riding any longer trails then I would stick with the Montana every time, for road/travel and some fire track type navigation then it would be the XT.

I do probably use nav devices differently to most users, I never have sound, ever..all disabled, I just want a quick glance clear screen for travel guidance.

Wasn't even worth replying to JB's post, as it was A) Bollox and B) Bollox from someone who is commenting on a device without actually knowing anything about it. Typical here. I use mine the same, No sound, just a quick glance at a turn etc.

I use both, except I have the 600 instead of the 610 ( basically the same but the 610 has more memory and a faster processor ) but there isn't really a comparison as they are totally different units for navigation !

I have used my 600 to navigate the Spanish TET from Bilbao to Andorra and then the ride home to N.E Scotland, which was all vey adequate but also pretty basic.
The XT is new to me but even just using basic routing is far superior compared with the 600/610.
If I am going to be riding any longer trails then I would stick with the Montana every time, for road/travel and some fire track type navigation then it would be the XT.

I do probably use nav devices differently to most users, I never have sound, ever..all disabled, I just want a quick glance clear screen for travel guidance.

Me too

I think the XT is a good unit, for road use, however I was surprised how good the Montana was for road Nav, don't need music and wifi updates etc

Wasn't even worth replying to JB's post, as it was A) Bollox and B) Bollox from someone who is commenting on a device without actually knowing anything about it. Typical here. I use mine the same, No sound, just a quick glance at a turn etc.

Whatever............

I have a Zumo XT btw :p

Same here.

That's why I'm thinking of just using tracks (if I cannot see to solve problems like the one mentioned above), as it would be essentially the same: just have a quick look when there is a junction.
But, still, having it as a route makes it easier if you have to take a detour as it will keep navigating towards the next shaping/waypoint. With the track, you have to "eye" it.
Since the routing functionality is there, it would be nice if it actually worked as intended. (My 400 quid "worked" when I bought the Zumo).

I'm happy with my Gpsmap when exploring the countryside on 2 wheels or foot.
Again, I'd be equally happy with the XT (as it is easier to manage for traveling on the road/finding things on the go, etc.) if it worked properly.

I've asked on the zumo forum. Let's see if there is a solution.

Back
Top Bottom