Loss of voice / turn instructions after an update.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Wapping

Reaction score
Since updating the device, it seems to have stopped showing the next turn, the blue bar at the top simply saying ‘Continue to…..’. This is the sort of instruction you get if the device doesn’t know where you are.

I asked the device to take me A to B, London to Stratford upon Avon. It’s a journey I know perfectly well, I just wanted to see how it coped. The device thought I was continuously off route when driving up the M40. It failed to give directions to leave the M40 at junction 13 but the magenta line was correct. It failed to give instructions at any junction or roundabout. The odd thing is that if I tap on the blue bar at the top, the turn-by-turn instructions are all there, including the usual, leave the roundabout at the X exit.

ea00b838b0af25daf3cd9c796a228ac0.jpg

It was certainly giving turn-by-turn instructions before the update.

All voice instructions have ceased. The only time it gave an instruction was ‘Please drive to highlighted route’, given at the start.

I created a simple route, which I could walk, to see if it would start instructions again. It won’t nor did it register when I got to assorted via points.

Put simply, it is as if the device knows where I am on the map, as the cursor is correct. It also knows the directions (turn left, turn right etc etc). The trouble seems to be that it doesn’t link what it knows to anything else.

However, in simulation mode it does give instructions (voice and symbols) but the cursor doesn’t follow the magenta line. It simply moves straight ahead.

I have always been a big fan of Garmin devices but between the garbage of the Nav VI, the slow death of BaseCamp and now an issue with the XT, I am wondering if it really is time to consign it to the bin of history.

Just double checking: you didn't have multiple maps activated at once, right?

I'm testing it tomorrow as I think I'll go get a cup of coffee out of London (and maybe do a sandy lane or two). I'm leaving for Germany in a couple of weeks and wanna avoid finding myself on the other side of the channel with a million miles of routes carefully planned and a non-working GPS (it happened before...). :)

Oooooh, good idea. I wonder why it might select two sets of maps, following an update?

I tried the hold the bottom right to do a hard reset, that didn’t start the hard reset process.

You Italian genius.

Now it works perfectly.

All the maps, including the OSM maps were ticked. Why did that happen, if all I did was update the software, that’s what I don’t understand.

I have unticked everything except Europe North and South. I have no use for anything else that Garmin installs and can choose OSM if I fancy using those maps.

Why did that happen, if all I did was update the software, that’s what I don’t understand.

It activates all the maps available after a software update.
Looks like it is a "Garmin" thing. I recently purchased a GPSmap 64s (to have multiple maps on the same device without having to faff with replacing SD cards) and - same story - it activates ALL the maps (I have 4 on that one) after an update, regardless of the user profiles.

General rule: if you don't see the speed limits, it means multiple maps are activated at the same time.
I developed the habit of manually checking which maps are activated almost every time I turn it on.
I have an extra topographic, non routable, map on it that creates some issues if activated at the same time as the others.

Now it works perfectly.

Good to know.
I got a bit scared for a minute :D

Activating ALL the maps by default after an update is just crazy. I might just remove the SD card with the OSM on it, just to stop the nonsense.

Thank you for the reminder to look at the maps.

Activating ALL the maps by default after an update is just crazy. I might just remove the SD card with the OSM on it, just to stop the nonsense.

Thank you for the reminder to look at the maps.

Having OSM maps enabled at the same time as CN Europe always gives the problems that you are experiencing. Good idea to check map settings post an update.

Having OSM maps enabled at the same time as CN Europe always gives the problems that you are experiencing. Good idea to check map settings post an update.

Indeed so. I actually knew it but had forgotten to check. It was the bizarre insistence of Garmin to install (tick) ALL the maps after an update of the soft/firmware that threw me, as I pushed buttons going up the M40, instead of keeping my hands on the wheel and eyes ever alert. Er-minio put me back on track and all is now well.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom