Yellow triangle shows after LED Auxiliary lights fitted

Roymundo

Reaction score
Over the winter period I fitted some new LED auxiliary lights to my 2015 R1200RT with keyless ignition. I purchased the after market lights off Amazon for about £55.00. The kit consisted of a pair of LED lights and a wirering harness complete with relay and switch. Lights easly fittted to the engine crash bars.
I only wanted the lights to come on when ignition was turned on, so connect wires to the battery with a white trigger wire connected to a wire behind the left upper fairing panel. This wire is one of three that termiate into a connector block ready for Additional Headlights as shown in the wiring diagram.
The LED lights work fine......However when out riding the bike with the key fob in my jacket pocket and LEDs on, now and again the yellow warning triangle, key symbol with question mark below appear on the dash.
I thought an easy fix with a new battery in the key fob. This didn't make any difference, warning triangle still shows.

But If the key fob is placed inside the right hand front stowage compartment NO yellow warning triangle, key symbol etc shows on the dash.
I believe that the LED auxiliary lights are interupting the radio waves between the bike and key fob, and that a stronger signal is given with the key fob placed in the stowage compartment. Not ideal but overcomes the problem.
Has anyone else come across this problem and is there another solution????
Thanks,
Roy

As you probably know, the key fob talks to an antenna on the RHS of the instrument panel &, with a good CR2032 battery should have the desired 1m range.

Unless your lamp install has somehow created a shield, which seems unlikely, then I would suggest your 'new' fob battery may simply be poor quality. Best invest in a Duracell or Energizer, not an eBay lookalike. I've had several new button cells that weren't up to snuff over the years, key fobs & watches, so only accept a sealed pack from a known reliable source.

Failing that, I would check out the main battery. Could be original (2015) - get it load tested. Are the terminals tight & not corroded.

Then, those fancy new bargain priced lights - pull the relay & see if the problem goes away.

Otherwise, you will need to check for any codes? GS911 or dealer. Presumably you only have the one fob & that emergency key thing.

Back
Top Bottom