Query re power for zumo 550

ronnie69

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Daft Q i suspect but hey...

I acquired the pictured powered mount with a bike i no longer have. I don't have a 12v socket on my new to me bike and dont really want one. The lead is too short to reach the battery. Can i just get a new 'normal' power cable and connect to the zumo and use the mount 'just' as a mount ?

Seems likely but worth asking before buying a new motorcycle power lead, albeit at risk of looking numptyish. Won't be first or last time...
c0c0546f9a35cad8fd3074943f411fb3.jpg
ca162e444e4274b0f1749e4967dbc1d7.jpg

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/394059852699?hash=item5bbfcc2b9b:g:EckAAOSwGVNicwW1

don't think you can power zumo except with a power lead , otherwise zumo goes into "talk to computer " mode .

That's the lead I was contemplating buying, but will that work together with the mount I already have pictured above (I said it may be a daft question)? I'm just conscious that the power on the mount comes via the bottom of the mount, but the power connection from the 'normal' lead (eg in your link) connects somewhere else on the zumo unit (the side? - I haven't got it to hand) and is a different shape.

that appears to be the correct lead but i would use it from an ignition switched supply, and not direct to battery.

From memory, the supply to the 550 et al, is without stepdown and charges at 12v so the mount should not drain the battery, however the advice above is sensible in taking it from a switched source.

The connector pins are on the base of the unit and are covered by the little rubber cap on the pictured unit in OP, while the mini usb connector(to pc) is under a flap on the underside of the nav unit

So, a couple of choices. If you have a power supply outlet nearby and if you're reasonably handy with a soldering iron then get a suitable length of cable and solder it onto the existing lead. After removing the BMW jack plug of course! Just ensure that you get the polarities right when you do so or you'll have to do it all over again! :blast You'll need some shrink to fit tubing also. Reconnect the jack to the new end and job's a good un.

Alternatively, do the same but solder the lead onto a fused supply from the battery.

Or again, get a switched supply from a suitable point on the harness: rear light is a common one and do the same but attach the new lead to the rear light wiring.

Buy the cable in the link above, job done.

Or, do as Posh Pete suggests.

Those are your two choices, if you don’t want to fit a suitable Hella socket.

Quite a few bikes already have a satnav power connection in the beak/cockpit area for their own satnav mounts. Maybe ask on a bike specific forum for your steed? I know my old R12GS did, and my current AT does.

Then its just a case of chopping off the plug and adding the right connector.

remember if not connected to a switched power supply and you are leaving the unit in the cradle it will draw power.

Back
Top Bottom