Keys and fobs

Just a quick question, tried the plastic emergency key today ,just to make sure it is okay before I go away on holiday, I take it that in a worst case scenario and the keyless fob is lost or stops working that there is no way to then lock the steering lock ?

Just a quick question, tried the plastic emergency key today ,just to make sure it is okay before I go away on holiday, I take it that in a worst case scenario and the keyless fob is lost or stops working that there is no way to then lock the steering lock ?

Why not?

Position the FOB/emer.key close to the antenna and operate the ignition switch in the same manner as you switch the bike on using the emergency procedure.
Must admit that I have never tried it, but se no reason why it wouldn't work...

Keyless means I only take my key out to open the panniers, and when I do it goes straight back in my insid3 jacket pocket :thumb

With my 1600, I don’t even take my key out of my inner pocket.

Keyless makes perfect sense on a bike with central locking :augie

:beerjug:

Surely the whole bike becomes ‘live’ when the plastic key activates the detector? Why shouldn’t the central locking work? Give it a try….

If the bikes steering is already unlocked all you need to do is to briefly place the spare under the rear mudguard and it will activate the circuit and start but it appears on my bike that if it us locked it does not remove the steering lock .

I worked it out to unlock the steering lock and lock it using the plastic spare you have to hold it against the flat area under the rear mudguard by wedging your right arm between the pannier , footrest and frame and at the same time stretch forward with your left arm and press the ignition switch button .

Possible unless you are wearing an armoured jacket where it becomes an utter pain and you get your arm stuck between the frame and footrest .

I am going to order a second proper remote key from the dealer before my main holiday . As I have already said keyless is a solution to a problem that never existed before manufacturers decided it did

Does anyone know if the,signal from a keyless bike can be copied by scrotes using a laptop much the same as they do with keyless locked cars?
Is it worth putting the fob in a tin or Faraday pouch when at home?

Does anyone know if the,signal from a keyless bike can be copied by scrotes using a laptop much the same as they do with keyless locked cars?

Keep mine under my tin foil hat.................... just incase

You definitely got scrotes right , their nothing but !

This is a similar issue to that which was discussed here a few days ago regarding fitting an entry code device to a car. A real problem for a car where the thief needs the car to be started to then drive it away - not so much for a bike where the thieves lift the bike into a van or wheel it away.
Most likely a keyless code repeater device could intercept the call response signal from the bike, but the range from the bike is probably not as great as car devices. Keep the key away from your front door and it will be out of range.
Alan R

Back
Top Bottom