Bmw motorrad Nav V1

MAR.600

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi
Sat nav takes a couple of minutes to boot up on charge if it's been lying for a while .
Called Garmin to purchase a new battery
Apparently they don't sell them anymore .
Has anyone purchased one recently from another source apart from motorrad .
Thanks

Sent from my SM-G990B using Tapatalk

When you say ‘ Sat nav takes a couple of minutes to boot up on charge’ what do you mean, precisely?

What method of charging are you using? Bike or mains?

Hi
If sat nav has been lying for a couple of months. Fit the nav in its bike cradle take maybe a minute to switch on when the power is on . Thinking of fitting a new battery.

If the device has been sitting around, its battery will be very flat. Before you put it into the cradle, give it a charge up via the mains first.

Hi
If sat nav has been lying for a couple of months. Fit the nav in its bike cradle take maybe a minute to switch on when the power is on . Thinking of fitting a new battery.

Do you turn the device off when not using it or leave it in standby? If you do not do a hard shutdown then the device will still use power, draining the battery fairly quickly. To shut down the device completely you need to hold the power button down until you get the pop-up asking if you want to turn off the device.

If you leave the device in standby and the battery goes flat then you will have exactly the symptoms you describe as the flat battery will need to recover a bit of charge before there is enough power to switch on the device. You can remove the delay coming back to life on the bike by simply plugging the Nav into a USB power source for a few minutes before riding e.g. whilst putting on your boots & jacket.

Hi
That's exactly what's happening
Thanks for the response guys..
I thought it shut down automatically when the ignition is killed. Is that the same for my zumo 660 ?

By default, they go into some sort of ‘light sleep mode’ which flattens the battery.

Closing them right down (as described above) puts them properly off. However, the battery will still lose its charge over time; it just takes longer. The simplest thing is to give the device a zap (30 minutes will do) via the mains / USB to make the bike’s task easier when it comes to firing the device up. Who knows, it might even find the satellites whilst you do it, which will save you even more time later.

Hi
That's exactly what's happening
Thanks for the response guys..
I thought it shut down automatically when the ignition is killed. Is that the same for my zumo 660 ?

No, I have a Zumo 390, like the Nav & the 660, it does not shut down completely when the bike is switched off, just goes into standby and comes alive when plugged into the bike cradle.

Back
Top Bottom