Traveling to Dent - through Wales route.

Wreford Miles

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Looking to bring some interest to my journey North from West Dorset and thought about crossing the Severn to Chepstow where it looks like the roads allows a straight'ish route North.

Well that’s what Google maps suggest by selecting cycle rather than car.

No point putting a detour like this in if it becomes tedious and has no joy - Any experience here of this kinda route or better suggestions.

Unless it’s going to be a joy I’ll just fill the GSA tank and slog it up the motorways but if joy is involved I might just take the California

TIA

Attachments

• 8AFB6379-2A0B-45D3-A74B-49E46ACAAD16.jpg
    8AFB6379-2A0B-45D3-A74B-49E46ACAAD16.jpg
    167.7 KB · Views: 298
Without turning a long journey into an epic I'd shift some of it slightly West Wreford and you'll still make good progress.

20220506_172815-X3.jpg

So..9, 10 or 12 hour options = cycling to Dent by straightest route ?

Is Timolgra on a chipped E bike @ just over 4 hours ;)

Edit..noticed that he has the car logo :blast

4+ hours is decent.. I'm looking at 6+ on small roads, the only way to travel ;)

I used to do that run Tim suggested back in the 80’s in my mini, heading up to my folks place outside Whitchurch. it’s a great route.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

I have friends in Oswestry and family in Welshpool. I try to avoid the A49. It is very congested and has lots of speed limits and cameras.

This is similar to Tim's route but with waypoints https://goo.gl/maps/mrBSzLuqo51K3a1n9 - 4 hours from the Severn Bridge to the M6 at Warrington

I have friends in Oswestry and family in Welshpool. I try to avoid the A49. It is very congested and has lots of speed limits and cameras.

This is similar to Tim's route but with waypoints https://goo.gl/maps/mrBSzLuqo51K3a1n9 - 4 hours from the Severn Bridge to the M6 at Warrington

Excellent - Thank You, so it looks like the California will make the trip to Dent:D

Forecast is looking good so I think I might go via Mull, Gigha and Arran.

Trying to figure how I use the route shown in the link to start navigating using Google maps - I can open it and preview it but I can’t see how to then 'start navigation,

Trying to figure how I use the route shown in the link to start navigating using Google maps - I can open it and preview it but I can’t see how to then 'start navigation,

can't help, with that route I would not need a map! On other routes I research in Google maps then manually add the waypoints into my Garmin Zumo 390.

Actually, I have just got it working on my Android phone.

I opened this thread in Chrome. I clicked my link above which opened google maps in Chrome - my phone then offered me the option "navigate in app" and he presto, it is telling me to turn left...

Downloaded chrome to my iPad and it appeared to do the same :thumb

Another question to all - Looking to minimise the my motorway time on the Guzzi I was looking to get of the M6 early and take this route up to Dent. Any better recomendations?

It was easy for me from Hertfordshire I had my Dent route options tried & tested :D

Attachments

• FB51E624-034B-4BE8-B90E-A91E7507ACCE.jpg
    FB51E624-034B-4BE8-B90E-A91E7507ACCE.jpg
    213.9 KB · Views: 150
Downloaded chrome to my iPad and it appeared to do the same :thumb

Another question to all - Looking to minimise the my motorway time on the Guzzi I was looking to get of the M6 early and take this route up to Dent. Any better recomendations?

It was easy for me from Hertfordshire I had my Dent route options tried & tested :D

looks good but maybe take the road from Dunsop Bridge to Bentham - I like this road as it has a better maintained surface than the one you chose, great views and a place called Moor Cock will appear on Goggle Maps as you pass through...

or if you have the time go a bit further west and take the A483 Builth Wells to Crossgates and up to Newtown road, the most brilliant set of bends, apparently 365 between Crossgates and Newtown, then across up to Oswestry

Hey Wreford, just to throw the alternative spanner into the mix for you, i've ridden this route on the bike and it's a good mix of roads, things to see, countryside etc. The Welsh side is good, but I prefer this one. I have started it from Bridport, but you'll pick it up on The Fosse at the M4.... Route.

My Road King parked next to the Cali at Dent so we could recreate this front cover?
All we'd need is a 'big mutha' in a bikini.

My Road King parked next to the Cali at Dent so we could recreate this front cover?
All we'd need is a 'big mutha' in a bikini.

Bound to be something around if you ask nicely. Best not to let them see the original before getting the shot though

Then we send it to Bike

Back
Top Bottom