R100GSPD How To Check The Driveshaft For Signs of Early Wear

X7eater

Reaction score
R100GSPD How To Check The Driveshaft
Hi all, I’ve owned several airheads including an R100 and R65LS and am now looking to purchase an R100GSPD…. My first paralever bike!

I’m aware of the (somewhat) limited lifespan of the driveshaft couplings on these bikes, but the current owner does not know if or when the driveshaft was last serviced or replaced. The bike has done 50,000 miles.

Question….without pulling the driveshaft apart, how can I check the paralever driveshaft for signs of unreasonable wear?

Turn rear wheel, if you hear a "clicking" sound it's the beginning of the end.

Saying that, they can also just go "clank" without any warning. :D

Found this answer elsewhere, so posting here for reference.

"Take as a routine to spin the rear wheel every time you've been out for a ride.
If all is well, there will very low resistance when turning the wheel. After some time you will be accustomed to the characteristics of the movement and you'll know when something is about to happen.
This way, I discovered a failing bearing on the output shaft in the gearbox. At first I thought it was the driveshaft as the movement had some spots of resistance when turning the wheel. Took it apart, found drive shaft to be in good order. Turning the output flange of the gearbox pointed to a gearbox needing attention. Changed all bearing, shim'ed the play and now all is fine.
Took the opportunity and replaced the drive shaft for one with grease zerks fitted to the joints."

It is not the UJ joints that need a grease nipple but the sliding spline.
Without plenty of the proper lube it galls, or seizes, under load and this is what causes the additional load on the output bearing.
You want a lube with 60% Moly, and it needs to be replaced regularly.
Not a slow job to do, but quicker than a gearbox rebuild.

Without plenty of the proper lube it galls, or seizes, under load and this is what causes the additional load on the output bearing.

thank you

Hey Beemerboff, I just noticed you are in Adelaide....I'm in Brisbane! and good job I live 3km from MMM Boxerworks!

Need any parts give me a call, at 76 I am not going to need mush now so am unloading my stash.
R75/7, R80 G/S and R100 GS
Munich do a good job on shaft rebuilds at a sensible price, if you need one.

Need any parts give me a call, at 76 I am not going to need mush now so am unloading my stash.
R75/7, R80 G/S and R100 GS
Munich do a good job on shaft rebuilds at a sensible price, if you need one.

Great, many thanks

Great, many thanks

And F650 Funduro bits too!

Back
Top Bottom