Paint bubbling.....

Where was the corrosion on your RT ?

I have a May 21 GS1250 TB 11200 miles, im anal about keeping my bikes clean and have the paint bubbling on the barrels and the engine casing, will be calling my dealer tomorrow.
My first BMW and i have to say im a bit disappointed.

BMW motorcycle paint is atrocious. The K1300 S / R / GT range - it is very rare to find one where the engine doesn't look like it has been stored in salt water. When I owned one of these I asked the dealer exactly what I needed to do in order to encourage the paint to remain attached to the engine but they were unable to offer any advice, which led me to the conclusion it simply isn't possible.

Heard back from dealer today , BMW have authorised replacement casings for my bike to be done later in the year to work around a couple of trips I have planned so fair play BMW.

Paint bubbling

Just checked my 2022 gs1250 triple black with 15500kms on clock
and not happy with what I have found see photos

Attachments

• 0A1B05E9-9629-454D-9105-1B4E08A774AC.jpg
    0A1B05E9-9629-454D-9105-1B4E08A774AC.jpg
    248 KB · Views: 167
  • 37C7CD2F-97EF-4E3A-9208-E53014C7B62C.jpg
    37C7CD2F-97EF-4E3A-9208-E53014C7B62C.jpg
    248.1 KB · Views: 167
Get it in to your dealer mate, hopefully theyll arrange to sort it like mine, yours actually looks worse than mine. Not really good enough though is it.

Dropping my bike off today for the new casings. Cant help thinking this is a massive job as ive got corrosion on the barrels and the engine block itself. Wonder if it needs running in again?
Got to admit im a little concerned.

BMW bikes, paint bubbling ? sorry sir we can't sell those. Best scrap it and start a new PCP..can I interest you in a new R1800 ? very reasonably priced at only £20,000 ...will the paint bubble on this one too ? oh no sir they don't do that...snigger

New engine fitted to my 18month old bike 3 weeks ago
hopefully this one won’t bubble
seems to be only on triple black models where engine is painted black

That’s interesting, I was just under the impression that they were not fitting new engines anymore. Maybe that’s what will happen with mine?

I have a silver block and mines bubbling - bike is 4.5yrs and 20,000 miles old though.

I can live with it as it will probably be my last bike before downsizing to a smaller trail bike.

I have a silver block and mines bubbling - bike is 4.5yrs and 20,000 miles old though.

I can live with it as it will probably be my last bike before downsizing to a smaller trail bike.
New engine fitted to my bike 2020 in January 23
Mileage was 1500. At the time, I reported it
When it was completed, receipt for just under £8000 pounds .
Bubbling at the same area as above .
My engine was silver colour.

Sent from my SM-G990B using Tapatalk

65K miles 2018 GSA Rallye. No corrosion anywhere. In fact, None of my GS's since 1999 have had any corrosion. Must just be lucky ?

Just dropped bike off and it’s definitely new casings for me. They said BMW make the call dependant on what parts are effected and mileage. I’ve got 15k on my bike 26 months old. As long as it’s all done ok I’m fine with that.

I've seen the paint bubbling on both silver and black painted engines. On both GS and RT models. My 2019 Rallye HP with the black engine (23k) is fine so far. Fingers crossed.

65K miles 2018 GSA Rallye. No corrosion anywhere. In fact, None of my GS's since 1999 have had any corrosion. Must just be lucky ?
Not at all.

I see no reason why I should need to clean and acf50 my bike after each ride. I also know that if I do, it will probably last longer before corrosion affects the bike.

You clearly have more inclination to clean and protect your bike more than me.

The exterior surfaces of the bike should have a similar protection level as a BMW car. The fact that it doesn't suggests BMW don't care enough about the bike owners.

The exterior surfaces of my 2016 X5 are in perfect condition, yet have covered 75k miles.

My 120k, 11 year old 5 series was the same.

A car has a nice shiny painted cover. The body work.
Underneath it will be shitty as it's not cleaned. Your fuel tank will be nice and shiny.

i have owned 3 GSAs since 2008. The last 2 being a 2018 TB and a 2021 TB. everyone used all year round. No issues on the 2008 or 2018 at all both were described as really good condition when trading in for the next model. My nearest dealer was 50 miles away until just before Xmas last year one opened up in my town. Yippee no more loosing a day to get the bike serviced I thought. So off I troop for my annual service just before a long run and I’m sat outside when the bike is brought back out by the service / after sales manger who tells me he really like the bike with its powder coated scaffolding and he can tell I really look after the machine. Jump forward 2 months and when cleaning it I notice little bits of paint starting to bubble round the casings and engine plate. So like a responsible owner I pop down to the new dealer to ask them to have a look. they take 2 photos and say they will raise it with the mothership warranty department and get back to me.

2 months later and 3 emails and two phone calls I had still got no news, so when passing the dealers 50 miles away I popped in for a chat with their service manager who has always been very good. He said in these instances they would need the bike for a full day and would examine every part of the bike to check how the bike had been maintained and then forward a full report plus copious photos to the mothership and see where it goes from there. I asked if just 2 photos and a 3 minute chat would do and he said only if you don’t want it fixing.

after 4 months and an enquiry to BMW customer services I finally get a response from BMW UK, lack of maintenance so not covered. I ask how this had been determined and the response was to talk to the service manager as it was his advice. The service manager has blanked all attempts from me to get anything in writing from him on procedural matters, reports, communication with the warrenty department and refuses to return calls. BMW UK say it’s now nothing to do with them and all communication has to go through the service department at the new dealer. Proper Catch 22.

long story short 2 good bikes one duff one and eff all help from BMW. So traded the bike in at a loss to a different manufacturer because I refused to sell it privately and let somebody that doesn't know what they are looking for and catch a cold. Made the new firm aware of what I knew, they did not mind as it would get a the remainder of the BMW warranty plus 2 years service plan and a top up warranty from them. Turns out they sold it for £3.5K more than the trade in price within 3 days.

what I take from this, first - a good aftersales manger is worth their weight in gold. Second - try to deal with the dealer you original purchased the bike from. Third, major chain dealerships couldn’t give a f*€+ and are happy to employ people in positions of responsibility that will lie to your face but never do anything in writing.

Back
Top Bottom