BMW 1150GS (2004), thinking of a bit more “oomph”

Nando654321

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Question: BMW 1150GS (2004) - I have a Remus exhaust which I aim to keep. However, I wouldn’t mind having a bit more oomph. Nothing major and don’t want to stress the engine, so the aim is just a bit more that’s all.

Options;
- PC III
- Rapid Bike Evo
- Booster Plug

Which one, has anyone added one to their bike and all ok? Any preference?

NOTE: Planning to decat which supposedly helps and bike loses a few kgs? Some have said that just the decat with the Remus can does a great job?

NOTE: Planning to decat which supposedly helps and bike loses a few kgs? Some have said that just the decat with the Remus can does a great job?

All that does is create noise, giving the impression of going faster and not much else.
But if you ride long distances it becomes a very very tiring noise.

Use a John Gemi chip.
Keep the CAT and run a stubby.
1200 injector conversion.
Some alter valve timing by changing to modified timing chain gears.

But your bike will be much faster by fitting well set up Ohlins suspension.

Combinations

I have tried, Y Piece and standard can, just makes noise with little or no difference in any performance, cat and stubby, like the sound maybe a little bit better performance however I've returned to standard set up cat and standard can. Bike runs the best and I get better fuel consumption. I also agree with the suspension comment above

PC3, K&N, decat, dyno.

Very noticeable increase in pulling power and a flat torque curve from less than 2k RPM. Bike's an absolute joy to ride. Other solutions will be cheaper though.

PC3, K&N, decat, dyno.

Very noticeable increase in pulling power and a flat torque curve from less than 2k RPM. Bike's an absolute joy to ride. Other solutions will be cheaper though.

Same, but also with:
R1100S inlet tubes
Matched 1200 injectors
K1200 fuel pressure regulator
Hyperpro shocks

The PC3 gives lots of flexibility to map for performance or economy and swap between as needed, eg for touring.

Really depends how much effort and dosh you are willing to spend
Wössner light pistons,sport camshaft, power commander 3USB and you can get as much as 120BHP+
According to Rössner&Rose not road legal in Germany
Rather a lot of effort and very costly for gaining 20 Nm more torque...:
Still great ride speaking to some chaps that had it done...
:green gri:green gri:D:D

Attachments

• 89755C97-5603-419B-9293-CAD308B58215.jpg
    89755C97-5603-419B-9293-CAD308B58215.jpg
    99.7 KB · Views: 520
Same, but also with:
R1100S inlet tubes
Matched 1200 injectors
K1200 fuel pressure regulator
Hyperpro shocks

The PC3 gives lots of flexibility to map for performance or economy and swap between as needed, eg for touring.

Oh yeah, 1200 injectors also, I forgot. I fitted these only recently, as my originals were past their best and the 1200 injectors (plus adaptors) weren't much dearer. I noticed smoother running - new injectors vs old, worn ones - but no evident performance increase

Thanks everyone

I had a think and would slightly reword what I said to:

- Looking for slightly more “oomph” for relatively low budget

Considering my 1150GS is very much a commuter but with a bit of hard riding with biking friends, realistically it is fine as it is to be fair, just a bit more wouldn’t hurt.

I appreciate what was said about suspension, but have to say that my current suspension setup is one place that I am very happy. Nothing of concern to report as it behaves well at low & higher speeds & bumps

The decat to go with my Remus seems a nice simple place to start. See how that goes and thereafter who knows. Loses a few kgs which is good too.

I reckon that I won’t want to touch the chip area and will live with what it has on offer, it’s a 2004 with 34k miles so it’s a nicely put together bike, albeit an alcoholic when it comes to oil!

Thanks

The standard ECU map is optimised for TUV emissions compliance and is noticeably 'flat and stuttery' in the mid-range. If you're after bang for buck, that's where to start.

I have tried, Y Piece and standard can, just makes noise with little or no difference in any performance, cat and stubby, like the sound maybe a little bit better performance however I've returned to standard set up cat and standard can. Bike runs the best and I get better fuel consumption. I also agree with the suspension comment above

Well said
Uprating the suspension will make the bike go 10-15% as you say

Chop it in for an early 1200. Probably cheaper in the long run, more power from the off and lighter too.:eek::green gri

Not being this website's average weight of 28 stone will help a great deal. :D

Likewise removing the typical half ton of unnecessary shite that festoons most of their bikes. :augie

Chop it in for an early 1200. Probably cheaper in the long run, more power from the off and lighter too.:eek::green gri

No way! I hear that a low mileage 2004 like mine is way better quality than a higher mileage 2006 ish 1200GS which is nowhere near as reliable!

No way! I hear that a low mileage 2004 like mine is way better quality than a higher mileage 2006 ish 1200GS which is nowhere near as reliable!

Well in theory you’ve already got the bigger culprit from the early bikes, servo brakes. After that theres nothing much scary about early 1200’s as long as you stay away from esa suspension. Final drives and gearbox issues are much the same as earlier models. After about 2007 things get worse, mainly cos dealers almost forced esa, tyre sensors and any other shit they could sell on most buyers. I looked for a good 08/09 without esa and never found one, ended up buying a new SuperTenere. Now there’s your other option……..my first ride really reminded me of my old 1150’s but with more go.:D:D

Attachments

• A8C055B0-89E8-4426-A36C-4E4FFCA8E486.jpg
    A8C055B0-89E8-4426-A36C-4E4FFCA8E486.jpg
    265.3 KB · Views: 271
Well in theory you’ve already got the bigger culprit from the early bikes, servo brakes. After that theres nothing much scary about early 1200’s as long as you stay away from esa suspension. Final drives and gearbox issues are much the same as earlier models. After about 2007 things get worse, mainly cos dealers almost forced esa, tyre sensors and any other shit they could sell on most buyers. I looked for a good 08/09 without esa and never found one, ended up buying a new SuperTenere. Now there’s your other option……..my first ride really reminded me of my old 1150’s but with more go.:D:D

Yes had a look at them in the past, indeed a nice step up. However, around 122kgs more than my current 1150GS… I already find mine hard work from gravel drive to garage. Plus it has to be said, there’s just something about the GS. But agree with you, maybe in the future I will go to the Super Tenere. Maybe. I don’t think I’ll gel with the 1200GS unreliability after having such a good time with my 1150.

122kgs more? Much prefer the Super Ten to the 1200GS, much more character to the mill than the Beemer.

Still think suspension is the way to go - was out on my 1100 the other day on the original (20000 mile) front shock while the Wilbers was having a new seal fitted and it was noticably harsher and less well damped. Was very happy when the Wilbers came back and I could remove it and stick it back under the bench.

Yes had a look at them in the past, indeed a nice step up. However, around 122kgs more than my current 1150GS… I already find mine hard work from gravel drive to garage. Plus it has to be said, there’s just something about the GS. But agree with you, maybe in the future I will go to the Super Tenere. Maybe. I don’t think I’ll gel with the 1200GS unreliability after having such a good time with my 1150.

I have a gravel drive. Best thing I ever bought was a metal turntable. Ride in to garage and spin the bike round ready to go again!

Back
Top Bottom