ZUMO XT - Not showing turn by turn directions

Status
Not open for further replies.

47steve

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I have a Zumo XT and want to know if you can add turns up ahead onto the top bar of the screen when routing to a destination.

I know how to go into it and get the turns up ahead onto the screen, but this way splits the screen in two.

Is there away to get it onto the top line instead of the road names up ahead?

TA Steve

Road names ahead in the top bar is if you're not navigating a route.

Next turn info is in in the top line when you are on a route.

When running a route, the next turn instruction should appear automatically in the top left corner, along with the blue banner of the road name or number.

If you are not running a route, there won’t be a next turn instruction as, obviously, there is no ‘next turn’ to make.

If though, by mistake, you are running a route AND have two sets of maps (say, the default Garmin map and an Open Street map) running simultaneously, then the ‘next turn’ function will not run.

I don’t know if you can turn the ‘next turn’ function on or off, not least as I have never tried or wanted to. If I had to guess, the on-off choice (if there is one) would live somewhere in settings, possibly in view or whatever it’s called or navigation. Play around, you can’t break it.

I will check, but I think there’s also a difference in turn by turn behaviour between following a pre planned route that you have uploaded and following a “A to B” route where you just plug in a destination.

And as Wapping says multiple maps live also stops turn by turn directions and if you’ve done a recent update they will all be turned back on.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I am not sure that’s true? I asked my XT for an A to B, Stratford upon Avon to London, which it delivered. I am sure it had turn by turn displayed in the upper left hand corner.

This is exactly what is happening to mine. You can put a route in say A to B but it does not give you the turns just the name of road. I will play around as Wapping says it may be a mapping issue?

TA S

I am not sure that’s true? I asked my XT for an A to B, Stratford upon Avon to London, which it delivered. I am sure it had turn by turn displayed in the upper left hand corner.

Yes, I think it gives turn by turn on an A to B routes, not an uploaded route

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Still no joy. Can anyone tell me what maps I should be using?

TA S

It’ll be something like Europe North and Europe South.

From memory, go to Settings > Navigation > Installed maps - what do you see listed and which ones are ticked (active)

It’ll be something like Europe North and Europe South.

From memory, go to Settings > Navigation > Installed maps - what do you see listed and which ones are ticked (active)

After updating my XT, the maps are;
CN Europe All North, All South, Foursquare & Parkopedia.
TopoActive West & Centre.
Europe DM

These are the standard sets of mapping pre-loaded on the unit, so I assume they will not interfere with each other and should all be left insitu?

That’s all fine, those are the standard Garmin maps.

I assume they all have ticks against them, to confirm they are active?

It shouldn’t make any difference but try unticking them all EXCEPT CN Europe All North, All South.

Now do you get turn by turn directions in the upper left corner when running a route? If you don’t want to go out, put the device into simulation mode (ie turn the GPS function off) and then run the route.

Home Screen > Settings > Navigation > GPS Simulator

That’s all fine, those are the standard Garmin maps.

I assume they all have ticks against them, to confirm they are active?

It shouldn’t make any difference but try unticking them all EXCEPT CN Europe All North, All South.

Now do you get turn by turn directions in the upper left corner when running a route? If you don’t want to go out, put the device into simulation mode (ie turn the GPS function off) and then run the route.

Home Screen > Settings > Navigation > GPS Simulator

Yes, they did all have ticks against them.
I did as you suggested - unticked all maps except CN Europe N&S and simulated a route. It made no difference - directions shown in top-left corner whether the other maps were unticked or not.
So a useful little experiment - thank you :beerjug:

Does this work?
Viewing Turns and Directions
While navigating a route, you can view upcoming turns, lane changes, or other directions for your route.
From the map, select an option:

To view upcoming turns and directions as you navigate, select > Turns.
The map tool displays the next several turns or directions beside the map. The list updates automatically as you navigate the route.

To view the complete list of turns and directions for the entire route, select the text bar at the top of the map.
Select a turn or direction (optional).
Detailed information appears. An image of the junction may appear for junctions on major roadways, if available.

Yes, they did all have ticks against them.
I did as you suggested - unticked all maps except CN Europe N&S and simulated a route. It made no difference - directions shown in top-left corner whether the other maps were unticked or not.
So a useful little experiment - thank you :beerjug:

OK, so just to be clear you DO now have the turn-by-turn instructions appearing in the top left corner and DO NOT have to split the screen anymore. So all is good?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom