Next Road Trip - Suggestions?

We normally go first week of May due to other commitments, Friday evening to Sunday week. 200 miles a day on the twisties, 9 am start, 6 finish, coffee cake and lunch stops. Motorways when required. Tunnel or ferry, Santander popular as warmer weather. We like to travel along rather than set up base and stay a few days in one town. Like the views, love the roads, not interested in being a tourist and looking at the lovely churches!

Spain is great. Weather, roads, culture, good value, etc so could easily explore new area or roads but don’t want to miss out exploring new places that offer just as much. Some of the suggestions above have certainly opened up my thinking.

you have a funny notion of what is defined as a tourist. As Wapping says, your are the epitome of a tourist - someone who travels somewhere for pleasure. Gawping at scenery, eating cake and your road trip are all elements of tourism.

That’s why I have been putting up as many ideas as I can find from the European magazines,

And I thank you for it, because of you I have a trip to the Ardennes booked - which I wouldn’t have considered.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk Pro

Just returned from most recent trip to euro land with friends.…. We normally have a week in early May for a trip.….. Just looking for some general feedback so I can start to research and plan….

Any news on when your next trip is and the time you are away, which I assume is what you are asking for help with?

Or are we looking at suggestions for May 2023 for one week (7 days) door-to-door, starting from and returning to the West Countyry, just in case someone suggests going to the Nord Cap, via Lisbon and Dublin in August.

I am guessing that it’s something for May 2023, based on:

We normally go first week of May due to other commitments, Friday evening to Sunday week. 200 miles a day on the twisties, 9 am start, 6 finish, coffee cake and lunch stops. Motorways when required. Tunnel or ferry…..

Await your words.

:beerjug:

PS Assuming my guess is correct and as you mention ferries and / or the train, I’d definitely suggest something along the lines of:

Home to Harwich > Overnight to the Hook of Holland > Hoon off into Germany > Return via the same route.

Or

Chunnel to Calais > Hoon to Belgium / Luxembourg > Germany and return via the same route.

Here’s a possibility based on your 200 miles a day, seven days door-to-door.

Pewsey to Harwich, to catch the overnight boat to Hollland is three hours. The boat does not leave until the evening, so you could maybe have a full day at home / work before departure. This might save you one of your seven days perhaps? The boat is an overnight sailing, so you arrive ready for a full day ahead.

From the Dutch port to the middle of the Harz mountains is roughly 340 miles. A chunk of this would (probably / maybe) be on motorways, so it would easily fit into your 200 miles a day target. Six (or at worse five, depending on how you treat the ride from Pewsey to Harwich) days left. Of these, due to the return boat back from Holland to Harwich also being overnight, you would effectively lose a day riding back to Pewsey from Harwich. Five days left, or at worse four.

You could spend four or five days doing non-touristy things in the Harz. Or you could look at some of the suggestions in the German section to stitch yourself together a different sort of non-tourist holiday by joining together several of the routes in the posts. You have a year to plan it, which is perfectly adequate.

Alternatively, you could have a look at the other ideas in the Benelux / French sections and start to stitch other ideas together and / or look at some if the trip reports. If those trips have taken two weeks, then adjust them or chuck in some motorway to save a lot of time.

In another post / thread you said you are familiar with RiDE magazine’s suggestions. Have a look at their website, as they have ideas for seven day jaunts, which might suit you, too. For example, picked up from another post and thread on UKGSer, you could do this and / or amend it to suit yourself:

f74cde88f995bbb21cb4f05e71c86eb0.jpg

In short, start to do some work for yourself, not least as you know yourself and those you go with much better than we ever will. Give it a go; then tell us what YOU have come up with. It’s fun and it’s free. For example, have a look at:

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/471784-Wallonia-aka-the-Belgian-Ardennes And then see what you can do by following links which take you off in other directions. For example to the ADAC website and maps, which are (with a bit of imagination) easy to stitch together. Or have a look at https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showt...reat-roads-mate-GPS-files-got-a-route-mate-……

Some of the links will inevitably die as their websites move or are not maintained by their creators. But don’t despair. Use some imagination and look for the areas in Google and surf away. There are other posts on threads on how to do this. Here, to get you started is a link to the current ADAC page:

https://www.adac.de/der-adac/regionalclubs/nrw/motorradtouren-fuers-navi/

If you can’t make your own holiday out of this lot, you’d better stay at home :D :beerjug:

b9f8d16046a83066e5b335c1a22579c5.png

Tap around, you can’t break it. Here it is, translated into English, using nothing but an iPad

314f6dfb0d5763b6e10f0e99c64db6e6.png

58ab40b81caf5f976e7a36f23679a998.png

bce8b73fc7ad11e912f0f5d0d13a4dca.png

983b17071736cce8b7568e0a3ebe2f37.png

60c372872af4c7975cd1a5b5b1c0ecf4.png

8ca1b2edcb38448ba34d8a009c3600e3.png

19f0efa2620fff4a7d46be506df9f1ad.png

addd9f708bc5a851f2326d54fcdcbdea.png

Warming to my theme, you could take a look at this:

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showt...s-about)-in-Alsace-Vosges-Colmar-Mulhouse-etc

You could go Calais to Luxembourg in a day, then scoot across to start riding the roads in the link. You don’t have to ride them all but, as they all join up they would suit your version of ‘non-tourist’ jaunting about. Then scoot back home.

55d65db4d430d4b29c4f59ca82161ebe.png

One instant holiday, presented on a plate.

PS This is a classic example of where the original website has become corrupted or is no longer maintained or just simply moves. It shows why, if you find something of interest you should do something with it then and there (at least make a copy of the key bits) to use later. Thankfully, I created the routes at the time.

Or have a look at this, which would probably work, especially if you took a ferry across to Caen or St Malo, which (going from where you appear to live) would make sense, perhaps.

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/550854-Bergerac-Dordogne-Four-jaunts

Or this:

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showthread.php/550855-Limoges-Limousin-Four-jaunts

You, if you bite the bullet, can do Calais to Avignon in a day. Or you can take two. Though it’s a very different area, this would work:

https://www.ukgser.com/forums/showt...Vaucluse-Drome-Vercors-including-Mont-Ventoux

All found just by tapping around in the French section. If I can do it, so can you.

Richard

:beerjug:

This thread highlights the challenges with suggesting ideas when post opener does not give details as to:

A. When the jaunt is. We find out it’s in May, one year hence. That may well rule out any suggestions made for some of the mountain ranges.

B. The time period available. That is seven days door-to-door in Pewsey, which (coupled to the time of year and per-diem non-motorway milages) probably rules out the Nord Cap and maybe makes the Dolomites tricky, too.

C. The per day distances ridden target. We discover that it’s 200 miles, every day, avoiding motorways. That gives 1,400 miles for a return journey over seven days or a bit longer / further depending on how you count any ferry crossings or motor rail trains and whether it is to include the jaunt from Pewsey to the cost and back again.

D. It takes a while to maybe discover what “I am not a tourist” means. In this case it seems to mean, “I am there to ride my bike from A to B each day, stopping in a different place each night. I don’t mind seeing some stuff (views, I gues) along the way but I don’t want to stop for a full day or even half a day in one place”.

This thread highlights the challenges with suggesting ideas when post opener does not give details as to

No it doesn't, what this thread highlights is that when someone makes a perfectly reasonable request for trip ideas a large number of people managed to respond with great suggestions without feeling the need to try and sound all knowing and superior about it.

If there was insufficient information in the OPs request for your liking why did you then spend time replying in such detail, the OP did not ask you for that.

This thread was doing fine without you.

No it doesn't, what this thread highlights is that when someone makes a perfectly reasonable request for trip ideas a large number of people managed to respond with great suggestions without feeling the need to try and sound all knowing and superior about it.

If there was insufficient information in the OPs request for your liking why did you then spend time replying in such detail, the OP did not ask you for that.

A bit harsh
Wapping provides some excellent touring tips, advice, routes, hotels and tour snippets

Yet Wapping has made a far more positive contribution to this thread than you , with your rather pathetic little dig.

A bit harsh

Possibly

Wapping provides some excellent touring tips, advice, routes, hotels and tour snippets

He does I agree, but it doesn't excuse his habit of regularly hijacking and moaning about travel information requests that don't provide every little bit of information he has decided are critical to every request.

People can ask what they like how they like and they will get the responses they deserve. There was nothing wrong with this request and the earlier responses on this thread confirm that.

He is not the judge and juring of this section.

What you seem to forget is that Wapping is a moderator for the travel sectio0n.
So he looks at all the posts in this section.
If you put the effort in he will bend over bacwards to help you

He is not the judge and juring of this section.

actually, he has been appointed by the forum owner to be exactly that - check the front page of this section to see who is the moderator for the travel section

Back
Top Bottom