South Bend

Davel

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
So late last year and after DNA tests with Ancestry, I suddenly out that I have a half sister in South Bend and lots of other relatives out there.

So I feel a trip coming on and maybe combining it with Route 66.

Now I’ve never been to the States and so any thoughts would be great.

South Bend seems quite close to the route on the but is it ? What are the folk like and how easy would it be to hire a bike out there?

Sadly my Dad who was in the USAF died three years ago and didn’t even know I existed but his family are all reaching out and so I feel a trip coming on.

Still a bit stunned really.

Unfortunately, I can’t help you with your question.

What an amazing revelation, best of luck with your new found family and I hope it works out well for you all.

There's more.

Being adopted at 10 days old, I've also found out that my mother was from Hillsborough Northern Ireland and I've two half sisters and a half brother over here plus family in Ireland.

Not bad for an adopted only child....

All this at 67...

South Bend, reminds me of 'Indiana wants me' ...... R Dean Taylor.

There will be some naysayers along shortly, but we enjoyed doing the Route 66 thing, along with a few detours which included the HD Museum at Milwaukee, using Eagle Rider Chicago on a one-way rental.

......... https://www.eaglerider.com/chicago?utm_source=Google&utm_medium=Referral&utm_campaign=Yext

Make sure you understand & price in the correct level of insurance. Sometimes ER list special offers, when they want to relocate inventory, so don't discount R66 in reverse.

BTW, you may find it best to get the family thing done first, then rent the bike, given the daily rates.

That’s a good idea.

It might be a bit rude to call in for a coffee on the way to pick up a bike

So flight out booked for 24 April and a mate might be coming too, so we'll either hire a couple of bikes or a car.

Quite fancy going over to Denver after a few days and maybe riding/driving through the Rockies for 10-14 days.

Is this a good choice or should I head to LA or Vegas and tour out of there.

It's a big trip for me and I'd hate to choose something only to find out that I'd made the wrong decision.

I'd like to avoid the cities as much as possible

If I was you I'd drop Sgt. Bilco a message, he'll see you right.
Best of luck on your trip, you'll have a ball.
2 rings when you get home please. :thumb2

South bend is a big national park semi arid down near the Mexican border . Stunning scenery and well worth a visit We went through in 2018 on a Hardly on an Orlando to LA trip. Has quirky places like Terlingua.
There’s an American filmmaker on you tube called Sterling Noren who lives and has a Motel in Bisbee. He posts multiple stunning films of his adventures in the area camping out on his bike I’m sure he’s covered Big Bend. Sure is the big country out there. Not far from Tombstone , Gunfight at the OK Corale, and Bisbee ,Untouched Main Street filled with old motors.
Enjoy your trip.

Senior moment warning looks like I’ve mixed up South Bend with Big Bend DOH !!!!

So off to Fort Wayne on Monday for a couple of weeks.

Apart from a 'meet the family' get together on the 29th, no plans made as yet for when there.

Would like to do some touring whilst over there.

Check out ADVrider's Tent Space thread. https://www.advrider.com/f/threads/tent-space-sign-up-thread.149585/

Also, while in Indiana, check out Indiana Dunes National Park. Also, Indianapolis is a neat city, home to the Indy 500, and lots of old (well, for the US) covered bridges.

route 66 - great ride, but you may not have enough time - I did it on a Harley over 12 days one way to LA and that was about right. Lots of time to stop and mooch around.

Riding around CO is fantastic. Although still probably cold/snowy up at elevation - we had a big winter this year.

Riding up along the East coast of Lake Michigan is cool, they call it the Redneck Riviera lol. Benton Harbor/St Joseph; and then South Haven - artsy fartsy coastal town. From there you could take a ferry (with your bike) across Lake Michigan to Wisconsin if you wanted to https://www.ssbadger.com/. Then continue riding up the West coast into Green Bay/Door County, WI. Beautiful area to explore. Continue on up north, and hit route 2 across top of Lake Michigan, Sioux Ste. Marie, the locks., back down through Michgain.

The US is a big place. It takes a long time to get places, especially as you head west. You really need to decide what's important and priortize. There is great riding and exploring to be had most places (except the Great Plains states - I've ridden across/through all of them - ain't much there, sorry to say). Mississippi River riding is good along the bluffs in Northern Illinois and southern Wisconsin.

Weather this time of year is variable - might be chilly. Unlikely to be very warm/hot, unless you get south of Missouri or so.

Back
Top Bottom