What size inner tube?

camphair

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Does anyone happen to know what size of inner tube can be used to repair both the front and back tyre of a 1250GS?

If you mean just one tube to cover both wheels? I’d go 4 a 17 inch. It will stretch over the front but I wouldn’t recommend it except in an emergency. I’d rather fix the puncture in the tubeless tyre. Always go for a smaller size of tube. A too big tube can crease and cause a weak spot a potential rapid failure of the tube. JJH

If you mean just one tube to cover both wheels? I’d go 4 a 17 inch. It will stretch over the front but I wouldn’t recommend it except in an emergency. I’d rather fix the puncture in the tubeless tyre. Always go for a smaller size of tube. A too big tube can crease and cause a weak spot a potential rapid failure of the tube. JJH
Yes. One tube to cover both in the event of a tyre failure.
Is 4 a 17 inch a size or is there a typo in there?

Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk

Yes. One tube to cover both in the event of a tyre failure.
Is 4 a 17 inch a size or is there a typo in there?

Yes 17 inch but it’s a dodgy thing to do. A inner tube dosent take up much room JJH

hmmmmm. I have to disagree on the above.

A 17" won't fit or safely stretch to fit the 19" front. I certainly couldn't get an 18" tube to fit my 21" front when I was stranded in deepest darkest Africa.

And if you could, It will already be stretched to the point of fatigue before you even inflate it.

You would generally carry the larger tube. Which can be stuffed into a 17" wheel if you really must. I've done it. And know plenty of others who have. I know a guy who rode Alaska to UShuaia on a KLR650 with a 21" tube in his rear.

But both scenarios are pretty ridiculous on such a large bike as a GS1250 which is designed for tubeless. And you'd only do it to limp back to town at slow speed.

I have to ask why though ?

Have you tried to get the tyre off and on a 1250 wheel to fit a tube ? It's near impossible without a machine. Spoked wheels are even worse.

What situation are you imagining this to be a realistic scenario ? Take some tyre plugs and learn how to use them. If you destroy your tyre or rim so badly that it won't hold air, just press your SOS button and wait for your Butler.

hmmmmm. I have to disagree on the above.

A 17" won't fit or safely stretch to fit the 19" front. I certainly couldn't get an 18" tube to fit my 21" front when I was stranded in deepest darkest Africa.

And if you could, It will already be stretched to the point of fatigue before you even inflate it.

You would generally carry the larger tube. Which can be stuffed into a 17" wheel if you really must. I've done it. And know plenty of others who have. I know a guy who rode Alaska to UShuaia on a KLR650 with a 21" tube in his rear.

But both scenarios are pretty ridiculous on such a large bike as a GS1250 which is designed for tubeless. And you'd only do it to limp back to town at slow speed.

I have to ask why though ?

Have you tried to get the tyre off and on a 1250 wheel to fit a tube ? It's near impossible without a machine. Spoked wheels are even worse.

What situation are you imagining this to be a realistic scenario ? Take some tyre plugs and learn how to use them. If you destroy your tyre or rim so badly that it won't hold air, just press your SOS button and wait for your Butler.
I'm heading to Norway for about 5 weeks at the end of June. Not sure at this point how many miles I'll ride but given that it's approximately 2k from the south to north and then back I'm not sure if a set of new tyres will make the whole trip. Although I will be leaving with a new set fitted.
The GSA I had previously only managed about 4000 miles and the the front tyre was done.
I'm assuming that Norway is like the rest of the world at the moment in that the simplest of items are no longer so easy to get a hold of.
Therefore it's in the case of an emergency if a tyre becomes so badly damaged I have some kind of backup. Don't really plan to use it at all.
Thanks for the info.

i think you are over worrying,, just fit a new set of tyres before you go as you stated, take a tubeless repair/plug kit , and get some breakdown cover and your sorted, if you do get a puncture thats not repairable ( unlikely but posible) then you use the breakdown cover to get you to a garage that can fix or replace it,,, dont over think it just go and enjoy :beerjug:

I had a puncture in Norway (hexheadGSA). Actually lots of punctures - about 10 tiddly holes in the rear. I kept blowing it up (compressor I carried), as there were too many holes to plug and you can’t buy foam/slime type repair in Norway, until I found a tyre place. They didn’t stock bike tyres and wouldn’t repair the tyre (illegal in Norway apparently) but he did phone around for me and found somewhere with a right size tyre in stock. I rode there - about 75miles to Narvik - they (a gorgeous blonde flirty Norwegian lady actually) took the wheel off, fitted and balanced the new tyre and refitted it. Expensive at £220 but worth it for the flirt and the fix.

Our trip was about 5,000 miles in total but we went via the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Poland, Baltics, and Finland before Norway. The punctured rear was very worn anyway in Norway but I reckoned it would have got me home - down to canvas though. If I went again I would leave with a known long lasting tyre - Heidenau K60 or Michelin Annakee adventure.

I always understood that the best tube to carry was the one that fitted your largest wheel. On the smaller wheel the big tube might be a bit lumpy and unbalanced but it’ll get you to a place for proper repair. But you’re only in Norway. Breakdown service works there, or take a can of foam repair and some repair plugs with a small compressor. Both are a lot easier to use than removing wheels, tyres, and valves in order to bodge an inner tube in.

The same place the existing valve is.

Ah, Wire wheels then.
If you have changed tyres yourself on your bike before then you know what to expect, if not I suggest you give it a try. There is a good chance of pinching the tube and splitting it.
I have fixed a lot of puntures, even stone cuts, with the large size sticky string and squirty foam. The worst one (on the ferry dash of course) took 5 strings and a can of foam, it held and was still inflated a couple of days later when it was replaced.
I carry,
Airman pump
Dynaplug tool
tyre puncture hole reamer
Large sticky string
Foam tyre repair

i think you are over worrying,, just fit a new set of tyres before you go as you stated, take a tubeless repair/plug kit , and get some breakdown cover and your sorted, if you do get a puncture thats not repairable ( unlikely but posible) then you use the breakdown cover to get you to a garage that can fix or replace it,,, dont over think it just go and enjoy :beerjug:
"Go and enjoy"
Always a good way at looking at it.

I had a puncture in Norway (hexheadGSA). Actually lots of punctures - about 10 tiddly holes in the rear. I kept blowing it up (compressor I carried), as there were too many holes to plug and you can’t buy foam/slime type repair in Norway, until I found a tyre place. They didn’t stock bike tyres and wouldn’t repair the tyre (illegal in Norway apparently) but he did phone around for me and found somewhere with a right size tyre in stock. I rode there - about 75miles to Narvik - they (a gorgeous blonde flirty Norwegian lady actually) took the wheel off, fitted and balanced the new tyre and refitted it. Expensive at £220 but worth it for the flirt and the fix.

Our trip was about 5,000 miles in total but we went via the Czech Republic, Slovakia, Poland, Baltics, and Finland before Norway. The punctured rear was very worn anyway in Norway but I reckoned it would have got me home - down to canvas though. If I went again I would leave with a known long lasting tyre - Heidenau K60 or Michelin Annakee adventure.

I always understood that the best tube to carry was the one that fitted your largest wheel. On the smaller wheel the big tube might be a bit lumpy and unbalanced but it’ll get you to a place for proper repair. But you’re only in Norway. Breakdown service works there, or take a can of foam repair and some repair plugs with a small compressor. Both are a lot easier to use than removing wheels, tyres, and valves in order to bodge an inner tube in.
I'd pay £220 for a flirty Norwegian blonde any day of the week!
I'll be taking a compressor and some plugs etc in the event of normal punctures.
I also plan to have a virtually new set of annakees fitted just prior to leaving.
I had them for my Iceland trip last year but traded the bike in so I'm not so sure on what milage I'll get from them.

Ah, Wire wheels then.
If you have changed tyres yourself on your bike before then you know what to expect, if not I suggest you give it a try. There is a good chance of pinching the tube and splitting it.
I have fixed a lot of puntures, even stone cuts, with the large size sticky string and squirty foam. The worst one (on the ferry dash of course) took 5 strings and a can of foam, it held and was still inflated a couple of days later when it was replaced.
I carry,
Airman pump
Dynaplug tool
tyre puncture hole reamer
Large sticky string
Foam tyre repair
I've changed tyres on my track bike. Not an easy task with just leavers.
Pretty much got everything you suggested but I'll take a look at the sticky string and foam repair.

I'm heading to Norway for about 5 weeks at the end of June. Not sure at this point how many miles I'll ride but given that it's approximately 2k from the south to north and then back I'm not sure if a set of new tyres will make the whole trip. Although I will be leaving with a new set fitted.
The GSA I had previously only managed about 4000 miles and the the front tyre was done.
I'm assuming that Norway is like the rest of the world at the moment in that the simplest of items are no longer so easy to get a hold of.
Therefore it's in the case of an emergency if a tyre becomes so badly damaged I have some kind of backup. Don't really plan to use it at all.
Thanks for the info.

I wouldn't worry about it.

Bring a set of plugs, an air compressor and a bottle of tyre repair foam in case the plug doesn't fix it. Or call for road assistance. You will get assistance EVERYWHERE, as long as you stay on a road that is accessable for a small truck. Just make sure your insurance covers the recovery service though, (otherwise it may become expensive if you call from a remote area.) If you need a new tyre, you will be able to get one to any shop within 24Hrs... So my friend, don't worry. You are not going to Siberia :D :beerjug:

May I suggest that you also download this App:
https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.favouritesystems.android.emergencyapp.nla113&gl=NO

In case of an accident, this app will direct you to the Emergency service and automatically reports your position. They handle the English language, and direct either an Ambulance or a Helicopter to ANY position in the country...
Also the BMW SOS function works, but it has slightly less coverage if located in remote areas..

Norway has a very strict policy on speeding, almost zero tolerance.
A friend of mine was thrown out of Norway for speeding, leave NOW, head for the nearest border. He was in the middle of nowhere on a big open road with no other traffic, he wasn't going silly fast, at the time he was 69 years old and never goes over 70mph.
What this is leading to is that your tyres will last a long time.
Take a chill pill and waft along taking in the scenery and you could squeeze 7000mls or more out of a CTA3 V rated, they seem to be puncture resistant as well.

Back
Top Bottom