HJC RPHA 70

leadfarmer

He / Him / That Fucker
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Dark Side of the Moon (Haute Loire) France
Anyone got one?

How is it for comfort, sun visor, ventilation, noise?

My Shoei GT Air is kinda worn out so I’m looking for a replacement that I can mount my Sena on

The HJC has a top vent similar to the Shoei but I find the Shoei quite noisy with it open, just wondering if the HJC is the same?

Any user experience welcome :thumb2

Hi Leadfarmer.
Ive an Rpha 70 and im pretty pleased with it. I bought it to replace a GT Air too.
For me its a little tighter than the Shoei, id certainly try one on, im a medium in both but i think i could have gone up a size with no issues. Id say the sun visor is better than the Shoei as it drops down further. One thing that used to bug me with my GT Air was how tight it was to open the main visor, very often moving the helmet on your head, no issues with the HJC. It also opens a tiny amount for ventilation, something the Japanese manufacturer could learn from. I have had it misting up a bit in very cold weather but no worse than the GT Air.
I think its the quietest helmet i own. I also recently bought a Neotec 2 for touring and i wanted a flip front, what a dissapointment that helmet is. Noisy, feels heavy on and has a bloody annoying squeek when you move your head.

Ive got a Cardo Packtalk on my 70 with no issues.

Ive several helmets and the Rpha 70 is probably the best for me. So impressed im toying with getting a Rpha90s flipfront to replace the shite Neotec 2.

When I was trying on helmets last week ( I tried a lot) I was impressed with the HJC range generally but they didnt quite fit me well

The helmet I was most surprised with was the Klim TK 1200

I wasn't looking for a flip front but tried it on not realising that it was a flip front

very light, very small in profile compared to other flip ups and impressive with its quality of lining etc

Hi Hartley

I decided to buy one and I’m very happy with it, I find a lot of the same things as you

I’d say the quality is very good, probably as good as the Shoei or really not far off

I prefer the sun visor on the HJC, as you say, it comes down a bit further, I do prefer the sun visor operating mechanism on the Shoei as it’s a bit easier to use with gloves on but it may also be a question of familiarity, the cable in the chin bar also means I had to mount my Sena further back but that’s not a problem

The venting is better on the HJC and surprisingly a lot quieter as is the helmet in general, the aerodynamics seem better with less buffeting and pressure on your neck even up to 140 kmh on my naked bike

I was in a large in the Shoei, 59-60 but the HJC sizing is 1 cm out so I took an XL, 60-61 cm and it fits perfectly, it’s more comfortable than the Shoei for me and strangely even feels lighter although I think they actually weigh the same

I’m well chuffed with it and would highly recommend trying one for fit to anyone looking for a new full face lid

I wouldnt have one again, due to the fact it mists up so bad. I have tried it with the original non-pinlock anti-fog visor, a new pinlock on the original visor and now a further pinlock on a new visor (which I asked the guys at SportsBikeShop to fit just on case it was me) and it still mists up badly. It's unwearable in colder weather. I think its happening because of the fact that the visor shape and has some intrusion where the stupid visor lock goes (locking a visor is not a useful feature on a street bike helmet). Potentially its also affected by the piss poor venting.

Its such a shame because it is a fantastic helmet, lovely to wear, light and well fitting and well made but it has such a fatal and fundamental flaw.

Back
Top Bottom