VOLspeed V3

bristolsaint

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've bought a VOLspeed V3 to fit to my ebike as I struggle with the drop of power at 15.5 mph. Pedalling a really heavy bike is bloody hard work with arthritic knees!

Has anyone fitted one, especially with the Purion controller? Plugging it in seems simple, but the instructions to set it up are ridiculous to a mechanical/tech numpty like me. If you have fitted one, can you give me an idiots guide to setting it up. I really need step by step instructions in plain English.

Thanks, in advance.

Assist cut-off at 15.5 mph (25kmh) is a real pain. I think this is an EU restriction. I feel 20 mph is far more useful and would prevent the need for software/hardware hacks. I feel a letter to my MP coming on.

Assist cut-off at 15.5 mph (25kmh) I feel 20 mph is far more useful and would prevent the need for software/hardware hacks. I feel a letter to my MP coming on.

Exactly right, my mates and I have been saying this for years.

I think a 20mph cut off would be better. The main problem would be greatly shortened battery range.
With a lot of self powered electric scooters and electric bikes being used without penalty,often at speeds in excess of 20 mph, it does seem strange that we have a 15.5 mph cut off for pedal assist bikes! My average speed on my road bikes is nearer 18-20 mph on the flatter routes so 15.5 mph is a bit slow.

Fitted a RedPed power dongle to my Bosch Gen 4 motor e-bike last year. The American version of my bike with the same motor is rated for 28mph. A 15.5mph assist cut out is a PITA when in traffic.
There is supposedly anti tuning software in that generation of Bosch so I only increased the assist cut out to 21mph as advised by RedPed. That's plenty for getting around and keeping up with city traffic.
Cant say I've noticed too much difference in battery consumption; its not like you are running flat out on the higher limit all the time.

I've managed to fit the VOLspeed device and now have electric assist to mid 20s mph. I'll do a decent distance ride soon and see how effective it is and what effect it has on battery life. It should make 20 mph much easier as I will not be shifting a really heavy bicycle by pedal power alone.

Back
Top Bottom