BestBikingRoads.com - New Look and Features - your feedback wanted

Rabbitson

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hi there,

I'm interested in feedback from you guys about the new look and feel and the new features that I have recently added to BestBikingRoads.com, my online project to find great places to ride your bike.

Some of you may already know the project, historically it has always offered lots of good content for those looking for trips but the look and some if the features were a a bit elderly. I hope that with this latest major update to bring the project bang up to date.

bbr-layout-sshot-ukgser-0522.jpg

But what are the main changes David? I hear you say :)

Well, here is a summary:

Updated Look, feel and layout. More graphics and buttons instead of text
Much improved navigation and presentation on mobile devices.
Routes Heat Map to improve overview of where most routes are.
Map Filters to highlight or discard routes according to preset criteria
New 'Twistiness' rating for routes that is calculated automatically to allow an easy comparison across all routes.
Upvote / Downvote system for content by other users, to allow the cream to rise to the top and the sediment to fall to the bottom.
Less invasive advertising.

I hope you like the changes and would welcome an feedback, improvement suggestions, or if you find any problems.

Either post that here, or contact me directly.

Many Thanks

David

Last edited:
I feel the older layout was better in that you can specify geographical areas, I find continually loading the uk map a faff, seems you must do this every time after selecting a route, can be a long process particularly once selecting a route then reviewing the track only to find its not what you were looking for.

Have used it before, mainly to edit and stitch routes together. It take time to load no doubt. I find the selection is hard, you have to be very precise. Font size and style of selectable regions could be crisper and smaller, saving space. I have just tried looking for a route to rouen, France. It took me about 6 clicks, 5 zoom ins and still not able to select a route. Sorry, its not working for me. The other issue is ri=outes that overlap. Maybe edit out those that do, and the provide a simpler service of highest ranked routes by yourself?

I feel the older layout was better in that you can specify geographical areas, I find continually loading the uk map a faff, seems you must do this every time after selecting a route, can be a long process particularly once selecting a route then reviewing the track only to find its not what you were looking for.

Good suggestion, thanks.

I've added an option to 'view subregions' when viewing the country, that allows one to navigate directly to the parts of the country

David

The upvote/downvote is a good idea I think, maybe, as the maps got cluttered with dross. Having said that one persons idea of a great road is not anothers, difficult to build this sort of thing I imagine... I'd bought/subscribed whatever, and had there for years, but deleted the app from my phone a couple of months ago as I wasn't finding it helpful. Always felt it was more helpful on my Mac than the phone. Will give it another.

The above sounds like criticism, not really, just a stream of consciousness!

Good luck with the project

Hi Rabbitson,
this morning i (finally!) went to register on the site.
I got the message;
Thank you for registering, you should receive a confirmation email shortly. Please activate your account by clicking on the link or pasting it into your browser
I waited til this afternoon - still no email.
No hassle nor hurry to fix - just thought i should let you know.
Site looks good. All the best with it. :)

Hi Rabbitson,
I got the message;
Thank you for registering, you should receive a confirmation email shortly. Please activate your account by clicking on the link or pasting it into your browser

+1 Me too!

Define 'Best Biking Road'... my best roads are very narrow and gnarly. I don't want fast, swoopy roads that other people will find enticing - meaning the chance of meeting a McLaren or Porsche coming the other way in the middle of the road on a fast sweeper is high... followed by the three other 'supercars' or sportsbikes racing it...... for me, hidden roads away from the madding crowd are where it's at.

I find the selection is hard, you have to be very precise.

I've doubled the width of the route lines on the map which makes it easier to click select them, do you think it is an improvement? I need to be careful making the lines much thicker as the map will very bloated when it is zoomed out a lot. Double width seems still to look ok.

Font size and style of selectable regions could be crisper and smaller, saving space

I'm not sure I understand this comment, could you provide a screenshot for me so that I may see what I can do to improve it?

The other issue is routes that overlap. Maybe edit out those that do, and the provide a simpler service of highest ranked routes by yourself?
Since a few months, I have provided some clickable filters on the map that allow selection by a criteria, did you see that feature already?

Thanks a lot for taking the time to provide feedback

David

Hi Rabbitson,
I got the message;

Normally this is a problem with it going to your spam, did you check that?
Thanks

Rabbitson,
i thought i got it wrong (i've 2 email accounts) and had input wrong eMail account.

One attempt returns this message "There is no user registered with the provided details
to go back and re-enter some valid details
To go back, click here"
Using the other email account returned this message "No Activation Code Available"

:nenau

Rabbitson,
i thought i got it wrong (i've 2 email accounts) and had input wrong eMail account.

One attempt returns this message "There is no user registered with the provided details
to go back and re-enter some valid details
To go back, click here"
Using the other email account returned this message "No Activation Code Available"

:nenau

Send me (ideally) both email addresses and I can untie this 2 email knot :)

Back
Top Bottom