Bike stolen & recovered (France).

luke scott

Reaction score
My buddy is on a trip in France presently. Two nights ago his 1250 Adventure was taken from the hotel car park where he was staying. He discovered the empty parking space next morning :eek: and the hotel manager informed him that the police had recovered it. It transpired that the hotel manager saw it being stolen and called the police. They arrived quickly and found the bike parked between cars on a nearby street. The bike was recovered to the police station. No damage was done to the bike but it's covered in fingerprint powder ;). The police say that a trolley was put under the front wheel and the scrotes pushed it away and would have returned with a van to take it away. He's very lucky and now back on the road. Be careful out there when you park up your bike.

A good news story. Stolen and recovered with no damage. Great news. JJH

Tell him to wash it with water and washing up liquid asap, using any/most bike cleaning product will almost certainly seal the aluminium powder to the bike :blast Nice to hear a good news tale though.

He was very lucky!

Where in France did this happen? I didn’t think the majority of France had a bike theft problem like the UK

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I can’t get my head around Police attending a stolen bike. How did I get conditioned to not expect Police investigation?

My buddy is on a trip in France presently. Two nights ago his 1250 Adventure was taken from the hotel car park where he was staying. He discovered the empty parking space next morning :eek: and the hotel manager informed him that the police had recovered it. It transpired that the hotel manager saw it being stolen and called the police. They arrived quickly and found the bike parked between cars on a nearby street. The bike was recovered to the police station. No damage was done to the bike but it's covered in fingerprint powder ;). The police say that a trolley was put under the front wheel and the scrotes pushed it away and would have returned with a van to take it away. He's very lucky and now back on the road. Be careful out there when you park up your bike.

where in France did this hasppen?

Shame the bike couldn't have been left there until the tw** came back, probably the same night as it was found but, well done the French police for looking for and finding it. Our English police would have been too busy.

A neat trick to shove a trolley under the front wheel, to push it away. Something as simple as a skateboard would probably do, though caster wheels would make it easier to steer. A timely reminder to preferably secure the bike to something, if possible.

though caster wheels would make it easier to steer.

They'll dissolve in the rain though, being made of sugar. :augie

I'll cast a set of castor wheels your way instead. :D

Using wheeled delivery trolley bases as skates has been a common method for years. :thumb

Always fit a small disk lock to the rear wheel as well.
Especially if leaving outside overnight.
Makes it alot more difficult to move.

Always fit a small disk lock to the rear wheel as well.
Especially if leaving outside overnight.
Makes it a lot more difficult to move.

I just bought a 2019 model 1250GSA Rallye yesterday (with datatag, a tracker and a factory alarm/immobiliser fitted) and I was planning on fitting one of those ROADLOK permanent disk locks that mount to the front radial calipers, but clearly this would have been as much use as an ashtray on a motorbike in this circumstance due to the trolley being used. I will probably still buy the front wheel disklock as extra security to help save the bike ending up as yet more Lithuanian bike spares on Ebay.

I toured France last week on my old Hexhead and chained it up to a friends bike plus I used a disk lock, but I may buy a stout cable instead of the chain to save weight in future, plus use my existing sold-secure disk lock on the rear caliper. I know they can crop cables or chains, but anything to slow thieves down or make them look elsewhere and also avoid insurers arguing that not enough due care was taken.

Back
Top Bottom