V85TT oil leak

Akulaking

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Noticed a tiny spot of oil around this open hole near the final drive the other day, bike had done around 700 miles at the time. I wiped it dry, did a few more miles and checked it again. Just a tiny bit once more, not enough to drip onto the floor.
The bike went in for its first service at 900 miles today, so I pointed it out to the tech, and I’ve now got to book it in for further inspection.
Just wondering if anyone else has seen this? It’s an open hole, suggesting it’s some kind of drain, but obviously shouldn’t weep oil. Better have a look at yours!
(This is a stock picture from the internet, mines a 2022 model)
There’s obviously no oil in the shaft housing, so it’s either throwing it forward from the final drive, or leaking down the shaft from the gearbox.

Attachments

• DE6C659F-B1C0-4403-98B0-C45D62E801C4.jpeg
    DE6C659F-B1C0-4403-98B0-C45D62E801C4.jpeg
    157.7 KB · Views: 604
Just had a look at mine and no sign of any oil on or around that hole…….dry as a nun’s knick. Strange place for a leak……….can’t really imagine where that’s coming from. Are you sure it’s nothing residual…….like from a coating of something like ACF50, or even grease from a pivot point that’s got flung ???????

No, it’s definitely a very slight leak. The Tech at MSC said he’d seen if before. It’s likely to be a weeping seal, maybe gearbox end and trickling down, but more likely the the FD seal, being thrown forward. There is a fine misting around the bottom of the final drive too. Every time I wipe it dry it re appears within a few miles.

That’s a bit disappointing then mate. PITA but at least it will get sorted under warranty. I was under the impression that final drive oil leaks on new bikes had now been successfully addressed but obviously still some issues.

Thanks, it’s a bit disappointing to be honest, but hopefully they’ll sort it.

Ok, here’s the update. It appears the final drive unit was slightly overfilled at the factory. (This is the Tech’s opinion) There is a valve in the housing which vented the excess oil. I had a puncture just before it was due to go in, and when I removed the rear wheel there was oil collecting on the inside lip of the housing, All the seals were fine. The Tech emptied the oil and refilled with the correct amount, apparently Moto Guzzi have revised the recommended amount down by 20ml
Inside the shaft housing was bone dry, no leakage from the gearbox end. Not sure how this oil appeared at the small hole, as I said it was only a tiny bit, not enough to form a drip.
Done 250 miles now and still bone dry so hopefully all sorted.

On a lot if bikes with a bevel drive it's not possible to overfill because the fill hole is also the overflow hole. I wonder if these bikes are different?

Yes the overfill issue was on the early bikes which had a few leaks but thought they had sorted it….human error on fill by sound of it. Not major and not as bad as the issues on the BMW’s

I’ve had two leaks out of the FD shaft area. First was blamed on a sticking (open) pressure relief valve. Second time on a gearbox seal. Whatever, both fine under warranty and now not leaking -,was only ever a weep both times. 2019 bike - one of the first ones.

oh yeah ? there is no pressure relief valve ..... there is a ...........breather . you got your plonker pulled.
It was 3 years ago, my memory is not so good. But, you are right, with my memory jogged it was the breather sticking. Whatever, it was replaced and that particular thing hasn’t leaked since.

Back
Top Bottom