Bike not starting no fuel pump whine

NormGS

Reaction score
Hi all, pleased to have joined this forum.

I have a 2005 BMW R1200GS which was on trickle charge over winter. One month ago I started it up and it ran perfectly but I have just tried to use it and it won’t start and there is no whine from the fuel pump when the ignition is switched on.

After doing some reading, I suspected it was the “fuel pump controller” which I also think is called the “driver module”? I purchased a new one and swapped it over but still there is no whine from the fuel pump and no start.

I then took the bike for diagnostics at an independent dealer who used the GS-911 to read for faults. It came up with “Fuse activated for electric fuel pump” after clearing the code the bike was tried again but the fault just came back. The technician tried a different fuel pump controller but the fault came back again.

Is a new ECU the next step?

Thanks
Norm

NO , get your dealer to do his job . try the fuel pump ! it's not working , power it up. ( and you just spent £140? on something you don't need )

As above. The first thing to try is not a new fpc. You can put 12v straight onto the pump. If it spins it’s the fpc. If it doesn’t, it’s the pump.
If nothing works it could be a short.
You’re still a long way from a new ECU.

I hate garages that just fire new parts at a problem…at the customers expense.

I would suggest a different garage.

As above. The first thing to try is not a new fpc. You can put 12v straight onto the pump. If it spins it’s the fpc. If it doesn’t, it’s the pump.

Tbf he didn't say he'd bought a new fuel pump controller, just that the mechanic tried a different one. He may have had one to try it.
I'd do as said above though before trying much else.

Tbf he didn't say he'd bought a new fuel pump controller, just that the mechanic tried a different one.

is it a known good one ?

my first week in the trade was spent , testing electrical parts on a working bike , i threw 90% of what was hanging around .....in the bin . we were left with a load of parts that actually worked . even now , if it doesn't work , i cut the wires off , or smash them with a no3 thor , then they deffo don't work.

After doing some reading, I suspected it was the “fuel pump controller” which I also think is called the “driver module”? I purchased a new one and swapped it over but still there is no whine from the fuel pump and no start

I hate people who don’t read and absorb what’s been written :D

I have had the " fuse activated for electric fuel pump" code thrown up by the GS911 it was the pump and not the FPC.
The £24.00 pattern pumps from ebay are good for 30K miles but treat them as a 30K mile service item.

Exactly. Direct power to the pump or find a relay for the pump. You have to find if power goes to the pump if not ,then go the relay

Στάλθηκε από το Redmi Note 8 Pro μου χρησιμοποιώντας Tapatalk

Thank you all for the very useful replies. I was steered towards the ECU by the mechanic, i will instead turn my attention to the fuel pump.

Thank you all for the very useful replies. I was steered towards the ECU by the mechanic, i will instead turn my attention to the fuel pump.

Get a new mechanic who knows what they are doing….going straight for the ECU is crazy.

Thank you very much for all the replies, I will focus on the fuel pump and not the ECU as steered towards by the mechanic.

Hi, all I have fitted a new fuel pump but the bike is still behaving the same. Has anyone got any ideas before I take it to the main dealers?

Thanks

Hi, all I have fitted a new fuel pump but the bike is still behaving the same. Has anyone got any ideas before I take it to the main dealers?

Thanks

Did your independent guy clear the Fuse activated for electric fuel pump fault code after it re appeared when trying the second controller?

Did your independent guy clear the Fuse activated for electric fuel pump fault code after it re appeared when trying the second controller?

He did at the time and I haven't touched the starter until I changed the fuel pump. But I was wondering if it could be something along those lines of the CanBus needing resetting again.

When my fuel pump went it took out the fuel pump controller as well. Both replaced at 97.000 mike's. All good still at over 125.000 miles

Hi everyone, just to let you know the bike starting this morning. I am not sure what made the difference, maybe a few more key turns priming the pump more. Anyway it is starting on the button every time now. Thank you all for your input and saving me buying an ECU.

Hi everyone, just to let you know the bike starting this morning. I am not sure what made the difference, maybe a few more key turns priming the pump more. Anyway it is starting on the button every time now. Thank you all for your input and saving me buying an ECU.

You may well be right, as the bike has been stood a while with components disconnected there will be quite a lot of air in the system.
The fuel pump only runs for a couple of seconds when the ignition is switched on. It does not build full fuel pressure ( as it does not know what the fuel pressure is). so may well have taken a few cycles of the ignition.

Nice one

Back
Top Bottom