An over nighter at The National Arboretum Staffordshire April 22

Rusty

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
This place needs no introduction I am sure, but was recommended on this very forum by a fellow Tosser who said A. It was worth a visit and B. Pop down the road to the Staffordshire Regimental Museum.
So I did.
With a fellow GS'er from here ( he now rides a Husquavana 701 and loving it too ) we planned a trip to see it all for ourselves.

cE3fi8m.jpg
We booked ourselves into the Premier Inn just down the road in Fradley so it was easy access to both sites.

Free to park and plenty of space for us 2 wheelers you could easily make an entire day of such a visit. Having said that we were there for a good few hours.

I am not ex military but 30 years in "the job" so there are a fair few Police Officers in there too. Whatever your reason for visiting it is truly a memorable place ..as it should be.

Here are a few self explanatory photos. Just take a moment to think what all these people have given us and probably in the poorest of fighting conditions.

PAuYaS4.jpg

eN1hEC1.jpg

NdjnTwF.jpg

There are many acres of stunning scenery here. All cared for and kept to the highest standard. No matter what unit you served in or where and when there will be a link up here somewhere.

During our visit there was a lunchtime dance going on .. WW2 themed and it looked pretty well attended. There was a jazz band playing outside for those who took their tea in the sunshine.

Inside a super restaurant / tea room that was serving good grub to fuel me on the way home. A shop, obviously where I purchased a couple of bits so I could contribute.

And so it was back to the Premier Inn with a pub right next door for a couple of beers and a well earned evening meal whilst catching up with my northern chum.
Sadly as we walked in dreaming of fish and chips with mayo and sticky toffee bad for you dessert I could smell nothing and see no one.
Posters everywhere. They had NO CHEF and hadn't had one for weeks ( but their online site was happy to take my reservation only days before !! )
Never mind .. all was not lost as the barmaid .. can I say that ? ... person, staff, whatever ... said we could order a take away to the pub and eat it where we were. BIG fat pizzas :)

The next morning down the road we went to the Regimental Museum ... sorry no photos uploaded here but it was very good too. Plenty of history, old uniforms and medals to prove the bravery of officers and men throughout the history of that particular unit. Loved it.

Just one more to go ..............

XNHBE6a.jpg

So there you go. Nothing massive nothing dramatic just an over nighter a few miles away to see what it's really like.
Sometimes these "little" everyday trips can turn out to be the best and shouldn't be overlooked.

Again very much appreciated😊😃 and quite impressive. A great way to learn more your beautiful country. If i get a chance at some point def worth visiting.. even if only out of sheer respect to those that gave their lives to help & protect others. But also to show respect to those keeping these memories alive by looking after all this.

Back
Top Bottom