Garmin in France

Orinoco

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I’m sat on a ferry to Cherbourg and just wondering if I need to try and stop the speed camera warnings popping up or would this stop automatically en France as it’s clever?

They should be disabled by default on your device, simply as Garmin no longer store them. Instead they have switched (I think) to some sort of general ‘Danger zone’ warning, which is legal. As I have stuff like this disabled by default, I have no idea what goes on now.

There again, the French have no way of detecting via telepathy, as to whether you are are running speed camera points on your GPS device or not. Even if you got stopped (probably for failure to observe the 12 km speed limit, enforced only on the Feast of the Immaculate Virgin’ and then only in parts of the Gironde) they’d still have to look at your device to establish whether or not you’d transgressed. Chances of being caught? Low to zero. If though you have committed an offence so heinous, that the chief of police is taking an intimate interest in your gps device, I’d suggest that the presence of speed camera markers might be the least of your worries.

if I need to try and stop the speed camera warnings

Do you really think anyone is gonna bother checking your sat nav?
Anyway, it doesn't give warning in France. Just look for the signs and enjoy your trip.

On my XT the warnings just stopped when I was in France, didn't change anything apart from mph to kmh

Thanks folks :)
I worry about stuff!

It can’t be that worrying, as you left it until the ferry set sail :augie

Enjoy your holiday and don’t get shot by a trigger happy policeman, for failure to carry three bulbs of garlic. You do have the garlic, don’t you? It’s the law!

:beerjug:

As usual Wappers is right.
I have speed camera warnings on my Nav V and when I was in France in March rather than warnings of cameras I got a warning about High Speed Danger areas (or something like that).
I usually saw a speed camera within a few miles of the warning appearing.
So you get the benefit of the warnings without falling foul of Plod Francais.
Enjoy your trip, stay safe, 2 rings when you get home please. :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom