What camera / helmet mount for an idiot?

Jazbee

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Now, I know nothing about action cameras or how to set them up and mount them etc. But I quite fancy making a few short videos of riding in my favourite area, the ones I see on YouTube seem very professional to me but they seem to be doing it from helmet mounted cameras, or chest ones

What would you chaps recommend for occasional non professional use by a novice user? I have a Neotec 2 flip with Sena SRL comms and ride a few bikes but my main tourer is a R1200RT if any of this info needs to be accounted for?

Appreciate any tips and guidance, like how do you upload and edit them..... I'm pretty computer and tech savvy, just not action cam savvy.

Cheers

Depends on your budget. I got an Insta 360 X2 recently and it is excellent but not cheap. A cheaper alternative would be an older model GoPro. The Insta has it’s own software and depending where you mount offers multiple views and isn’t too difficult to use.

I have been using a Drift Ghost X for the last 4 years, mounted to my Neotec 2. The updated version is the Drift XL. Waterproof and a good 8 hours battery life. If you buy from moto central and use the code UKGSERS you will get 10% discount as well

I have been using a now obsolete Drift Stealth 2 for a number of years with some good results. Usually mounted on a RAM ball mount and RAM tripod screw thread ball, some makes do a shoulder harness for their camera but I have never seen one used. Don't forget you can mount the camera facing backwards on the bike as well which will give some alternate angles.

On my last few productions I have mixed full video with still shot using the time delay function (takes a picture very few seconds) this makes editing easier as you don't have to wade though 3 hours of video for the choice bits just hundreds of stills.

I use Microsoft Movie Maker a now defunct and not available for download basic functions and easy to use, the Microsoft Photos package also has a video editor package which will produce good results and cost you nothing.

As with all re chargeable devices re charge the battery every few months or it will die!

Don't mount a camera on your helmet.

Michael Schumacher is (barely) living proof of why not.

Like post #2 says, budget is a big thing. You can buy second hand but not sure if I'd really trust the batteries or equipment if it was used....just a sceptic! I've used a lot of Gopro equipment over the years and never let down by it and the newer models picture and stabilisation quality is amazing. I've just moved to Insta 360 X3 and again, not cheap but amazing what footage you can get. You don't have to film in 360 and it has forward and rear facing independent lenses. Editing can be hard work for beginners and takes a lot of patience. The Insta 360 app is pretty good but then I import it in to iMovie maker (Mac) and continue editing. It's a minefield with cameras and editing suites so the choice is yours. Some editing software is free some are £300 per+ per year. Good luck.....

Check these out if you want helmet mounts https://chinmounts.com/en-gb

This, this, one million times this.
Mount it on the bike. I use a clip to keep a gopro attached to one of my backpack straps.

Also, keep in mind, road riding videos are fairly boring unless you are in truly exceptional areas. I tend to record a lot these days when traveling, most times there is absolutely nothing of note in the videos. You'll spend a lot of time going through the footage :)

I wish I was more competent with cameras, I've even shelled out on expensive cameras in the past, I reckon I would make a bollox of a Brownie box camera

I use a Dango Designs mount on my Aria Tour x4, with a Gopro 7 Black.
You can unclip it as your riding with your left hand,show the camera around you and clip it back on again..
Still crap at videoing though...

Clip on chin mount, tatty old gopro 6 black (if you come off the bike the cam and mount will fly off and not turn you into Herr Schumacher)
settings 4k and 25fps (I also use nd filter so I can use 25fps)

Videoing is relativly easy.... decent sound is a whole other box of fish

I also have a DJI Osmo (all my kit is bought secondhand and has been rock solid) that I use to do onboard recording of other bikes in combination with the GoPro

For everything else (static stuff, interviews etc..) I use a Sony Mirrorless

Although Schumacher and his GoPro make good headlines, id be more inclined to ask why his helmet split in 2 leaving him no protection.

Back to the OP
If your only making a few videos, can you borrow a camera?
Its an expensive setup just for a couple of videos.

I think GoPro are still the camera to beat, they just do what's expected easily and well.
i own a Insta360, but use my 2 GoPro for most shots.
The 360 is ok but 360 footage adds another step to the editing process which is time consuming.

Camera mounting is a personal thing and also depends what bike you ride and how tall you are.
for instance if i chest mount on my bike, viewers would be watching my tank and dash so its not an option.
Mounted on the bike as a single view, even with a 360 camera the view from the same position gets boring quickly.

Its best to have a main camera and another for all the angled shots and shoots off the bike.

You'd pick up a GoPro 7 or 8 for small beans these days. Folks have usually gathered a few accessories which saves you shelling out for them. Couple that with a bendy clamp mount and you can quickly and easily change the point of view for different clips. Here's an example of some I made earlier :). I Used a fairly easy to learn app called VideoPad

If you do mount any camera,….. never be tempted to share your un-Hitchcock’like skills on these pages…… until you have got really, really good at it.

Last edited by a moderator:

Back
Top Bottom