Stalling issue

GSADavidZH2

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
A friend's 1998 K1200RS has suddenly developed a habit of stalling, but the strange thing is that the revs would surge to 1500 rpm then drop to 500 rpm, then stall. The bike has only covered about 22500 miles and had a major service about 2500 miles ago. Has anyone experienced this before, or any ideas as what it possibly could be?

Also can anyone recommend an independent dealer in the Birmingham who has with experience with this bike?

Thanking you all in anticipation.

I'm thinking fuel pump/ filter or tank breather. Does in gulp air when you open the filler cap? ........ or can you hear the fuel pump struggling to pressurise the system?

Can't help with an indie in Brum, but there is a guy, ex-Wollaston, who has set up at Grendon, near Northampton.

Bike Motor Works

Address:Long Lodge Farm, Main Road, GrendonPostcode:NN7 1JWCity/Town:Northampton (Northamptonshire)
Contacts:
01604 696329
07890 085891
Name of Owner / CEO:Ian Joyce

Many thanks for the replies squibb34 and andysdad. I will pass on the info to my buddy.

A friend's 1998 K1200RS has suddenly developed a habit of stalling, but the strange thing is that the revs would surge to 1500 rpm then drop to 500 rpm, then stall. The bike has only covered about 22500 miles and had a major service about 2500 miles ago. Has anyone experienced this before, or any ideas as what it possibly could be?

Also can anyone recommend an independent dealer in the Birmingham who has with experience with this bike?

Thanking you all in anticipation.

Hi, I had a very similar/identical problem with my K75s. Changed everything on the fuel system an breather hose with no joy.
Mass airflow meter changed, still no joy.
Eventually I changed the temperature sensor in the cooling system ….Eureka
Bike runs better than ever before in my ownership
Worth a try and not too expensive either
Got the sensor from Motorworks
Biff

Have a look at the vacuum tubes on the fuel injectors, mine was doing similar with regards to high revs. Then I looked at the small vacuum tubes and one was off, soon as I pushed it back on all was fine.

My friends K1200RS went to Ian at Bike Motor Works who resolved these issues including the annoying misfire. It needed replacement HT leads, coil and fuel regulator. I also had Ian service my 2013 GSA. I can fully recommend him, and the All Day Breakfast at The Half Moon in Grendon.

Back
Top Bottom