Clatter clatter when half clutch.. Looking for advice

KickStarter

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Hey guys!

I'm hoping you can help dialogise if it this an issue or somewhat normal!

2008 F800GS, 24k miles.

So when I'm riding often in first or second and riding with the clutch half pulled in/feathering, whilst keeping the revs constant, my go to for London traffic riding and city cornering, I'm often getting a clattering noise from the chain.

I'm unsure exactly where it is coming from, could be the chain, chain guard or that general area. It's not a noise I get on my XSR700 which I believe I ride in the same manner.

I've had my license for two years and so am somewhat new to the bike world.

Noise started when I first cleaned my chain, this was a week after I purchased the bike so it's possible I was always there but only noticed after.
I did snap the chain guard bolts when trying to take off the chain guard for cleaning, I since drilled out the holes, tapped them and put a new bolt in.

Look forward to hearing from you all!

Sounds to me like you need to adjust the chain tension.
The noise will be the chain hitting the bottom of the swing arm as, after you cleaned the chain, all the gunk on it that was helping to keep it sort of tight has now gone, hence it's a tad loose.

Required chain slack is between 35 & 45mm when on the side stand. My way of getting this about right is to tighten it just enough so that the chain doesn't quite touch the underside of the swingarm at the mid point of the chain. I then measure the slack and find it's within the manufacturers stated tolerances. Check the tension at different sections of the chain, in case there is a tight spot on it.

Best of luck,

SteveT

:dragon

Thanks for the response Steve!

Must admit, after cleaning the chain it certainly had more slack in it that before, so that would make sense. I purposely didn't adjust it myself as I was due in for a service a few days following and assumed they would, but perhaps not!

Sounds like a Sunday activity, nice one.

Thanks,

Lewis

24k on a chain/sprockets, that loosens up when cleaned - could be it's nearing end of life.

Check carefully for wear/stretch/tight links/sprocket teeth condition, both rear wheel & gearbox sprocket.

Full chain kits are relatively inexpensive & it's important not to risk a chain failure, something that can prove catastrophic.

Good point Squibb, I would have thought the garage would have look at this in the service, opportunity to upsell me a new chain!

I've pinged them over a message to ask if they would have inspected and will take it from there!

Best,

Sounds to me like you need to adjust the chain tension.
The noise will be the chain hitting the bottom of the swing arm as, after you cleaned the chain, all the gunk on it that was helping to keep it sort of tight has now gone, hence it's a tad loose.

Required chain slack is between 35 & 45mm when on the side stand. My way of getting this about right is to tighten it just enough so that the chain doesn't quite touch the underside of the swingarm at the mid point of the chain. I then measure the slack and find it's within the manufacturers stated tolerances. Check the tension at different sections of the chain, in case there is a tight spot on it.

Best of luck,

SteveT

:dragon

This Steve T is right. I have done probably 40,000 miles on the 800 twins and the sound you describe is exactly like a chain that needs adjustment. Just make sure you adjust or more correctly measure it on the side stand. When I first bought mu 08 in 2010 I used to adjust it on the main stand. Drop it onto its side stand and put a bit of weight on and it pinged like a piano wire.

You don’t need the garage. Just check it. It’s something you need to be able to do yourself.

On the side stand check for worn pointy teeth on the rear sprocket and hooked teeth on the gearbox sprocket. Check the chain for stiff links and tight spots. I do the same as SteveT when it comes to chain adjustments; the bottom run should not quite touch the swing arm when pushed up at the centre point. When adjusted to that criteria there’s no need to measure slack as it’s going to be right.
Been doing it this way for almost 11 years and 100,000 miles and I have never had a problem with it.

On the side stand, interesting! Yes as you say I've have popped it up on the center stand thinking that was the better way to do it!

Hey, Lawis. When you read the owner’s handbook the directions say side stand. 1, because the standard configuration of the bike doesn’t have a centre stand; and 2, because the weight of the bike while on the side stand puts the chain run at the centre position for the suspension. If you adjust the chain with the bike on the centre stand it will be too tight when on the side stand. I once had a tyre shop set the chain tension as if it was a stiffly suspended sports bike and as soon as I sat on the bike the chain was like a piece of wire.
But as others have said at 24,000 miles it probably needs a new set; but don’t be a cheapskate and get a chain and sprocket set.

Got about 18k on the original chain with Scottoiler fitted which I thought was reasonably good.

Once the adjustments starts they need it very regularly. I adjusted my chain 3-4 times during a trip to the Alps some years ago.

The constant gear changes and acceleration up and down the passes eventually took its toll.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Thanks guys,

Garage advised there was 1/4 life remaining, but I'll go ahead and change it now, I'll get one ordered and use SteveT's way of measuring, then will double check thereafter.

If anyone has a great chain and sprocket set they swear by it would be great to know, otherwise I'll let google guide me.

Cheers

Try Motoworks BMW. They do a chain & sprocket set for around £120. Bit less for a standard chain, a bit more for a heavy duty one. I have been getting both new and used parts from them for a lot of years and they have always been good.

Back
Top Bottom