Much if any difference between the 2010 to 2012 Twin Cams

TOG

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I know as engines develop they tend to improve. I’m looking for a cheap (Ha!!!!!) twin cam GSA. Should I be concerned about sky high mileage. I presume if a choice between a 2010 or 2012 came up common sense says 2012. However was there much development of note with the TC to justify this thought?

My (and I heard others...) 2012 bike had a balancer shaft oil seal go at 600 miles and a crank seal go at 20k miles; both needed substantial work to sort them out. I have not heard of similar faults on 2010 or 2011 bikes.

Earlier Bikes (up to Mid 2011 iirc) still have the notorious Fuel Strip, if that causes you concern......

I don’t know, I’ll do some research on that.

As a general rule of thumb.

Try to go for the later models, because, by the time a bike gets to the end of it’s production run, all the faulty components have been sorted and replaced with upgraded components such as Ring Antenna and Fuel pump controller modules to name just 2, I’m sure there are more.

I have fallen foul of the Crank shaft oil seal problem (post #2) on my 2012 bike which occurred at 19k. But fortunately for me all it cost was the price of the components (£50) as I was able to do the work myself.

Ian

Not necessarily! My May 2010 build 30th Anniversary has a float.
The balancer shaft seal has been weeping but not dripping, for the last 10k but as it has 100k + on it now I'll do it when the clutch finally expires. Rear bevel seal went at 50k, ignition switch at 30k. Luckily I was parked on my own drive when the ews message popped up, 2 days after I returned from a 4 week trip to Turkey.
It uses some oil, not the seal leak. Drive shaft bearings were renewed at 50k as they felt notchy.
Both shocks have just been rebuilt, front blew the seal at 80k so I put a s/h one on. Rear lost all it's damping on one ride at just over 100k.
It has AF-XIED fitted and drives well.
The gs911 has certainly paid for itself as I do all my own servicing.
It has been well used for 2 up touring, training and track days so not been treated too gently.
Would I buy another?
You bet!

Interesting!
I wonder where the Cut Off Point was then?
Mine is definitely a Strip.

I think it depends on whether your bike has the on board computer fitted that will give you fuel useage in MPG and range remaining. This is because the fuel strip if working correctly gives an accurate fuel level for calculations. Whereas the float only gives basic fuel level.

I think it depends on whether your bike has the on board computer fitted that will give you fuel useage in MPG and range remaining. This is because the fuel strip if working correctly gives an accurate fuel level for calculations. Whereas the float only gives basic fuel level.

Really?
I was under the impression that all the Post 07 Bikes had the Fuel Computer, Strip or Float.
Is that not the case then?

Really?
I was under the impression that all the Post 07 Bikes had the Fuel Computer, Strip or Float.

Depends on the specification. Mine doesn’t have the computer but has TPMS and alarm. So I have a float fitted, and the only time I get Fuel range is when the bike fuel gauge shows nearly empty when the Fuel warning light comes on telling me I have a range of 40miles of reserve fuel left.

Depends on the specification. Mine doesn’t have the computer but has TPMS and alarm. So I have a float fitted, and the only time I get Fuel range is when the bike fuel gauge shows nearly empty when the Fuel warning light comes on telling me I have a range of 40miles of reserve fuel left.

So if I were to do the Float Conversion, the Fuel Computer might spit its Dummy out then?

So if I were to do the Float Conversion, the Fuel Computer might spit its Dummy out then?

That I don’t know. But the computer will either not work, for fuel calculations, or will be less accurate. I haven’t read the thread specific to the float conversion, but I’m sure the answers are there.

Really?

My bike is a 2010. First registered. 1st October it has the fuel float. I also get from the trip, MPG ,average speed, remaining distance, and a few other bits of info

Ive had a 2010 a 2011 and a 2012, the 2011 had only 7200 miles and the ignition switch failed, then the starter failed. Bike was only 3 years old at the time of these failures back in 2014.

The 2010 had a rear wheel bearing at 31k miles resulted in a FD rebuild by Mikeyboy of this parish. It’s also had the clutch slave cylinder and an alternator changed. Bike is now 12yrs old so some of these failures are to be expected.

The 2012 was a 2000 mile bike when i got it, covered around 10k on it and it was faultless for me during my ownership. I ran it on AF-XEID units and it was really nice and smooth with these on.

The 2010 my current bike doesn't have the AF-XEID units fitted but its by far the smoothest of the three bikes that I’ve owned. So thing is you can get a low miler and it will have problems, if its been well cared for im sure any of the Twin Cams will be great regardless of mileage.

I think the bikes are better to be used, so a high mileage i dont think is always a bad thing, main issues i have had is when the bike has been laid up unused.

So thinking do i have a fuel strip or a float, is there something visual to check on the outside to give the answer without taking everything to bits?

Back
Top Bottom