R850 GS OPTION

Tacho D

Reaction score
Hi Everyone, I am considering changing my F650Gs single for something a bit more capable and comfortable for long distances fully loaded with camping gear but would still like to keep the engine size to under 1000cc. I like simplicity and ease of maintenance, hence I am considering the R850GS but know little about them. The lack of a water cooling system is a big plus. Seat height has always been a limiting factor with most adventure bikes which is where the F650 wins. How easy is it to lower the seat height on the R850. Anyone with any experience of these bikes/ recommendations?

I can't tell you about the R850GS, I don't suppose there are many about these days in UK.

What about a Guzzi V85TT ? Plenty of owners on here. Shaft drive, air cooled, easy to maintain...

Attachments

• windermere 26 feb 2022.jpg
    windermere 26 feb 2022.jpg
    246 KB · Views: 456
The 850 may have a smaller engine but isn’t any simpler than the 1100/1150 models and requires exactly the same maintenance as the 1100/1150 models, and the seat heights are all the same.

Great bike but due to the gearing can be a bit buzzy over 70mph, good off road, again due to the gearing.
Having owned an 850 and an 1100, I prefer the 1100.

Attachments

• IMG_0656.JPG
    IMG_0656.JPG
    104 KB · Views: 423
Hi Everyone, I am considering changing my F650Gs single for something a bit more capable and comfortable for long distances fully loaded with camping gear but would still like to keep the engine size to under 1000cc. I like simplicity and ease of maintenance, hence I am considering the R850GS but know little about them. The lack of a water cooling system is a big plus. Seat height has always been a limiting factor with most adventure bikes which is where the F650 wins. How easy is it to lower the seat height on the R850. Anyone with any experience of these bikes/ recommendations?

I have heard that considering it’s the same weight as an 1150, it does feel underpowered…

However, it has to be said, if you are not bothered about your 1150 having to be a “GS”, then there are some amazing 1150 deals to be had across FB Marketplace / ebay / bike trader. Have a look, some low mileage well kept versions at way better prices than GS equivalent. Grab yourself a nice bargain rather than trying to focus too much on whether it’s 850 vs 1150 as you should remember that we are talking about 85hp powarrrr so it’s hardly unmanageable at the 1150 end.

I have heard that considering it’s the same weight as an 1150, it does feel underpowered…

However, it has to be said, if you are not bothered about your 1150 having to be a “GS”, then there are some amazing 1150 deals to be had across FB Marketplace / ebay / bike trader. Have a look, some low mileage well kept versions at way better prices than GS equivalent. Grab yourself a nice bargain rather than trying to focus too much on whether it’s 850 vs 1150 as you should remember that we are talking about 85hp powarrrr so it’s hardly unmanageable at the 1150 end.
6kg in it ,not sure the alternator power is round the right way
c084401587d65e4acf8f01f0c2db3ff7.jpg

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk

6kg in it ,not sure the alternator power is round the right way
c084401587d65e4acf8f01f0c2db3ff7.jpg

Sent from my SM-P610 using Tapatalk

Ok so we end up at 240kgs ish versus 246kgs ish with oil fuel etc

I am pretty sure the R1150R has a lower seat than an equivalent GS and they are great bikes.

Totally agree

The GS is the one I have as I use some dirty country roads regularly, but if this wasn’t the case then the normal 1150 would be on the list!

Ive had two 1150’s and a Twin cam1200, but my 850’s the one thats still in the garage after 13years of ownership. Does everything the others did up to 70-80mph. Like Steptoe says, there all pretty much the same bike.
The 850’s are the rarest of them, few more 1100’s, loads more 1150’s. Find any in the right condition, at the right price and just buy it and then see which engine it is.

Thanks guys, plenty of food for thought. Yes, there are a lot more R's than GS's and at more reasonable prices. The seat height is more manageable too and the ground clearance looks good enough for dirt tracks maybe with a 80/20 tyre. The 1100 or 1150 might be the way to go as the 850's are thin on the ground and there is little to be gained. And preferably without the super complicated ABS system. I may find one locally and try it for size. The only issues could be the enormous weight compared to what I am used to (179kg dry), and the much higher consumption, (I average 70mpg). At current skyrocketing fuel prices, I will have to think carefully.

Thanks guys, plenty of food for thought. Yes, there are a lot more R's than GS's and at more reasonable prices. The seat height is more manageable too and the ground clearance looks good enough for dirt tracks maybe with a 80/20 tyre. The 1100 or 1150 might be the way to go as the 850's are thin on the ground and there is little to be gained. And preferably without the super complicated ABS system. I may find one locally and try it for size. The only issues could be the enormous weight compared to what I am used to (179kg dry), and the much higher consumption, (I average 70mpg). At current skyrocketing fuel prices, I will have to think carefully.

Yeah that’s if you are used to 180kgs and 70mpg then going to 240kgs and 40mpg will come as a shock to the system.

However, I’m still happy with my GS. It’s at a minimum half the price of everything else I could have bought so it’s still a great deal.

I get 50mpg to my r850gs but it's a big heavy bike.

That said, I look at it as exercise when I move it around and once it's moving, it doesn't feel heavy.

I bought my 850 because I also have an s1000rr and really don't want to speed when on the GS. No matter what people say, it isn't a slow bike, there's plenty of reserve to spin up to 100mph. You need to be more careful which gear you are in to access the powerband though

Sent from my SM-G996B using Tapatalk

Have you considered an R80GS airhead?

Try Bobster on here. He bought my sons R850GS about a year ago. It needed a good tidy after son had commuted on it for a couple of years. He seems to be a serial bike do-er up-er so may be interested in selling it. Bobster is good at Restoration- he certainly did a good job on my old R1200GSA.

I am pretty sure the R1150R has a lower seat than an equivalent GS and they are great bikes.

I've not sat on an 1150 GS but the seats are wider, hence the R may seem lower? From memory looking at cycle ergo website, the seat height and footpegs differ on differerent year R's. Another option is the R as its cheaper. 2 inch risers on bars(no need to move any cabling, and 1150GS foot rests lower that by another 2 inch or so, so its then a mini GS...I took my centre stand off as it wasn't allowing enough ground clearance, but on a plus side its extra weight lost. Some re routing of the brake line to the slave cylinder. Runs and rides like an adventure bike for me. Much cheaper than the original GS's. Its an option

Great bike but due to the gearing can be a bit buzzy over 70mph, good off road, again due to the gearing.
Having owned an 850 and an 1100, I prefer the 1100.

You'll be pleased to know that it's still going strong!
19961167_10154487303176923_899718505887319832_n.jpg

For leisurely and perfectly capable touring, 2-up with full camping gear, the 850 is fine. Mines got a JohnGS Chip and free-er exhaust which helps power and rideability wise. The engineering is wonderfully agricultural on these bikes which appeals to me, very little on them is unnecessary, basic, functional and capable. It's no rocket, but then I like to keep my license and have a relaxed time!

Fuel consumption is an individual thing. My 1150GS is used for commuting 50 miles a day. Not much traffic, or stop start. Filled up today, managed 55mpg, "assuming" the GS odometer is correct. That's with E10 fuel, potter along mostly at 60.

You'll be pleased to know that it's still going strong!
19961167_10154487303176923_899718505887319832_n.jpg

For leisurely and perfectly capable touring, 2-up with full camping gear, the 850 is fine. Mines got a JohnGS Chip and free-er exhaust which helps power and rideability wise. The engineering is wonderfully agricultural on these bikes which appeals to me, very little on them is unnecessary, basic, functional and capable. It's no rocket, but then I like to keep my license and have a relaxed time!

Wow, looking fantastic!

Back
Top Bottom