First Lot of Twin Cam Expense....

BillyBoxer6

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just had the Rear ESA Rebuilt and Upgraded by our Luke, usual extremely fast and efficient Service - Thanks Luke.
However, I've now noticed Top / Bottom Play in the Rear Wheel.
Is that a new Rear Wheel Bearing at 18k miles??

The BMW spec is 1mm play at the rim. Mine has 0.3mm play measured, yet by feel you would think it knackered.

You'll get the same feeling if the final drive pivot bearings are worn.
Inside one is a needle bearing and the outside is a double row ball bearing.
I think you can rule out the wheel bearing by holding the rear brake on when you are feeling for play.

It'll be a Job for MikeyBoy when it goes in for Service I think.
Might be nothing, might be another Expense.
Not much I can do about it eh??

I did my rear paralever/pivot knuckle bearings with simple tools years ago, its not difficult. I had almost imperceptible play/wear in the trunnion side but I changed all the components including the big felt washer and it fixed my weird loose feeling handling from the rear end. I think if I remember correctly I got the bearing out using an oversized socket as a cup with some stud bar and washers to draw out the bearing. I don't think the cost of the parts was too bad, its a simple trunnion pin and bushing sleeve one side with a felt washer, and a bearing the other side.

I did my rear paralever/pivot knuckle bearings with simple tools years ago, its not difficult. I had almost imperceptible play/wear in the trunnion side but I changed all the components including the big felt washer and it fixed my weird loose handling. I don't think the cost of the parts was too bad, its a trunnion pin and bushing sleeve, a bearing and a felt washer.

The Bike handles really well, it may be within Tolerance as you say.
The bearing has been picked up as an Advisory in a previous MOT, but not the last one, interestingly enough.
It had stood idle for 2 years prior to my buying it so I guess it may have a few "Waking Up" Issues to sort out.

If you can use a dial test indicator (clock gauge) or know an engineer that can, set it on the wheel rim and pull/push the wheel to measure the play. Its a millimetre maximum sideplay allowed at the rim but you will feel any play in your hands from the bearing long before it reaches that.

Same goes for the swingarm bearings and the paralevel/bevel knuckle, you can feel that in your hands and see the flex in it when it is worn. All these little bits of wear and tear add up the further down the bike you go so by the time you get to the rear wheel it feels massive when its actually very little.

Another thing worth checking is the long but slender frame bolt under the right hand rear side of the gearbox above the catalyst. It vibrated out on my first 2004 1200GS and the bike flexed slightly like it had a hinge in the middle, solved with buying a new bolt plus a dab of loctite.

If you can use a dial test indicator (clock gauge) or know an engineer that can, set it on the wheel rim and pull/push the wheel to measure the play. Its a millimetre maximum sideplay allowed at the rim but you will feel any play in your hands from the bearing long before it reaches that.

Same goes for the swingarm bearings and the paralevel/bevel knuckle, you can feel that in your hands and see the flex in it when it is worn. All these little bits of wear and tear add up the further down the bike you go so by the time you get to the rear wheel it feels massive when its actually very little.

Another thing worth checking is the long but slender frame bolt under the right hand rear side of the gearbox above the catalyst. It vibrated out on my first 2004 1200GS and the bike flexed slightly like it had a hinge in the middle, solved with buying a new bolt plus a dab of loctite.

As I say, the Bike feels nice and Tight on the Road.
It's just that I noticed the 6 / 12 O'clock Play in the Rear Wheel when I had it out to remove the Rear Shock.
Other than that, I can't really fault the Bike.
It just seems to get better with every Ride.
It's not a World Apart from my 57 Plate to be honest, but it's a joy to Ride.

Back
Top Bottom