Romania 2023

markymark

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Planning a trip to Romania next August (fingers crossed) & was wondering which border crossing is the quickest ? Heard stories of waiting 4 & 5 hours just to get through the border, do bikers just nip to the front as usual or do you wait in a line with all the cars & lorries ?

Any other tips greatly appreciated not matter how small :D:D:D We'll be on our RT's & Pan Europeans :blast

Once you’re across the channel, isn’t it all EU Land down to Romania.

Assuming you don’t try a great scenic route.

When we went to Albania down the Balkan coast there were delays at the non-EU borders but we simply filtered to the front. No one seemed bothered, but then I wouldn’t have understood them if they were.

Planning a trip to Romania next August (fingers crossed) & was wondering which border crossing is the quickest ? Heard stories of waiting 4 & 5 hours just to get through the border, do bikers just nip to the front as usual or do you wait in a line with all the cars & lorries ?

Any other tips greatly appreciated not matter how small :D:D:D We'll be on our RT's & Pan Europeans :blast

This is the Nadlac crossing, from HUN & ROM there is joint border control. The same on the way back. Romania is in Schengen so passport control is still in place.
Forward to 9:35 min.

I see there is no waiting time from HUN - ROM, there is 1 hour from ROM-HUN.
https://www.police.hu/en/content/border-crossing

I filter to the front, there is always a gap. If you wait in line your brains will fry - August is around 35C + mid day. Never tried Oradea, but if you are heading for the mountains is the best place and is a lovely city. I know the owner of a cheap good hotel in town centre, if you need info let me know.
Have a great time.

Cheers for the quick replies guys :beerjug:

We're leaving from Scotland so will be heading Hull to Rotterdam with shitty P&O

Hoping to have 5 nights in Sibiu ;)

Travelled through Romania a few years ago. Straight to the front of the queue, no issues.

What route are you taking from Rotterdam and how many days in total for travel to there and back?

No problems earlier this year. Crossed over quickly. There were huge queues for lorries, filter past the lorries, thorough in well under 30 minutes both ways...

We’ve just been there. No delay on the border into Romania from Hungary on the A1, but about 30 mins delay coming back out. The police put you into a queue and you stay there.
I think 5 days in Sibiu is to many. We had a day there and saw what was worth seeing. Are you planning to do the Transalpina or Transfargasan highways ?
If you’re going to travel on the A1. Beware, lots of fuel stations closed.
We ate at the same restaurant in Sibiu both nights. A salad starter, two main courses a beer and a wine cost us about £15.
If you go to Brasov, Bran castle is actually worth a visit. We went by bus and it cost very little to get there.
We took 3 days from Calais to Budapest, had a day off then 1 more day to Sibiu. They where full on travelling days though.
It’s well worth a visit to Transylvania
I found the cost of fuel all over Europe has evened out, but at the more expensive end of the scale. Hotels in Romania are a little cheaper than here as is food.
Oh, beware of bears , we came across them on the Transfargasan highway.
Any other info, feel free to ask :thumb2

Back
Top Bottom