Great biking area in eastern Spain - Altea

The Other PaulG

Still searching
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just returned from my annual cycling jaunt and as sometimes happens, we discovered an area that would be just fabulous on a motorbike.

We were based in Altea, shown on the map, and the area in question is everything to the north east of there.

Leaving Altea, you are immediately into exceptionally attractive mountain scenery. The roads are quiet, and almost nothing is straight or flat - they wind sinuously up the mountains through forests, past crags and rivers, eventually cresting through a saddle before descending on the other side.

The surfaces were all superbly maintained (you absolutely notice this when you're descending fast on a push bike) and well signed. There are sufficient roads to allow you to create many circuitous routes.

Every charming little village seems to have a restaurant for coffee and lunch stops, usually with astounding views.

Using Altea as a base was a great success too - it's shoreline strip has some absolutely brilliant restaurants at good prices. The steak tartare and Rioja evening at Felix's was particularly memorable. A swim in the sea was a bonus too - although Altea is only a short drive from Benidorm, it is NOTHING like it and really quite civilised.

So it you're looking at Spain, or passing this region, I'd certainly recommend stopping and spending some time here. :thumb2

Attachments

• Clipboard17.gif
    Clipboard17.gif
    203 KB · Views: 366
  • WhatsApp Image 2022-06-12 at 8.56.17 AM.jpeg
    WhatsApp Image 2022-06-12 at 8.56.17 AM.jpeg
    44.4 KB · Views: 362
  • Picture24.jpg
    Picture24.jpg
    182.2 KB · Views: 362
  • Picture18.jpg
    Picture18.jpg
    124.7 KB · Views: 367
Good tips, thank you.

I often look at bicycle and Classic motorcar sites for ideas, knowing that they very often take roads that would suit motorbikes, too. Likewise, hotels.

Not long back from a trip where we stayed in Calp and went through this area both ways. Two of the best days I’ve ever had on a bike. Stunning roads, great people.

Very nice area. Actually Benidorm is really quite nice if you are happy with a large town/resort - just takes an open mind and that in the winter months there are hardly any Brits there :)

I'm on my second visit to this part of Spain this year and agree with the OP re Altea.
However, there's a major construction project underway along part of the sea front at the moment.
I recommend the Restaurante Columbus which is free from heavy diggers and the food is great.
Going up and inland about 15 miles to the mountains there's the village of Guadalest.
It's a great place to stop for lunch and I suggest the Resteraunte L'Hort. Spectacular views, good food
and great roads to get there. There's also a motorcycle museum nearby that's well worth a visit.
HTML:

Attachments

• IMG_20221004_144957379_HDR.jpg
    IMG_20221004_144957379_HDR.jpg
    246.3 KB · Views: 135
  • IMG_20221004_141651091.jpg
    IMG_20221004_141651091.jpg
    248.5 KB · Views: 129

Back
Top Bottom