St. Nazzaire.

Rugged Path

The Honourable.
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Thinking of visiting as part of my itinerary later this week.
That is if there is still anything still to show regarding the HMS Cambletown and the raid on the dock.

Museum, cemetery or memorial!

Sent from my MI 9 using Tapatalk

There's a monument on the wall of the harbour, U-boat pens there was an old French submarine in one when I was there.

There is plaque and memorial dedicated to the crew of Campbeltown, the U boat pens are still there obviously, dozens of British Tall boy bombs barely left a scratch, in one of the U boat pens is the submarine Espadon which is worth a visit and in another is an ocean liner experience which
I enjoyed but it may not be for everyone :nenau
The last time I was there I noticed groups of young men hanging about, drinking and smoking weed so if I were going again I would park somewhere that is in public view especially if travelling by bike and with luggage but I may be overthinking it ;)

There is a small cemetry Beautifully maintained as per just a few miles from the dock in the town. Im still amazed by the raid and happy to stand just across from there imagining what must have gone on that night and the bridge is there to cross appears original. Clarksons war stories does it justice but you've probably seen it worth a look if not.

It is really worth a visit.

How the U-boat crew lived in those boats is amazing.

go up the coast a couple of miles to Batz-sur-mer and there is the grand blockhaus https://www.grand-blockhaus.com well worth a visit, another place near by and again worth a trip is Cité Médiévale de Guerande its the original walled city in the middle of the town well preserved you can spend a good couple of hours wandering around

I visited a few weeks ago, worth a look. Also, about an hour away west are the Carnac stones.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Thanks all, will add to my GPS as a destination.
Hoping the further north I go the cooler it gets. Suffering in this southern heat.

Sent from my VOG-L29 using Tapatalk

unlikley, if you look at a temp map the area of the St. Nazzaire pocket it is more or less the same as south of france med coast

Well here I am in the city suburb of Trignac. Staying at the F1 Hotel.
Would anyone have addresses for where the memorial and cemetery are?
I want to reduce time spent hunting for them in this heat.

Thanks.

Well here I am in the city suburb of Trignac. Staying at the F1 Hotel.
Would anyone have addresses for where the memorial and cemetery are?
I want to reduce time spent hunting for them in this heat.

Thanks.

As, unlike some, you said “Thanks”…

The good news is that Google does not suffer from heat exhaustion:

29c2a7fd906f52c5894125a26ab2a6c5.png

0d07525951e49b3baab72b3e01d10402.png

Find the cemetery by the same method….. or ask a policeman.

08e6c5a6af439d0e5e70704112db5658.png

:beerjug:

Back
Top Bottom