1150 not starting

Splink143

Reaction score
On my last ride home my bike started to cut out momentarily, as if the kill switch was being flicked on and off. Now it won't start. It tries to run but sounds as though the timing is out. Both injectors are triggering and spaying fuel and both plugs are sparking. the left hand cylinder is firing (the exhaust gets hot) but the right hand isn't. I have tried bridging the motronic relay with no effect. Any help or ideas gratefully received.

1. Check the loom between the base of the ignition switch and the main loom. These were often secured with over-tightened cable ties at the factory and their age can make the cables start to fail.
2. If you have good, reliable, continuity on (1.), then it sounds like a Hall sensor may be playing up. Do a search on here and you'll find a raft of posts about it.
3. There are very few things that will cause the bike to fire on a single cylinder. I assume from the context of your post that this is a single spark - so we can discount a plug-coil breaking down? If you have fuel and spark to both sides, and the injectors are producing a healthy fan-shaped spray pattern, then the timing of the spark (which leads us back to the Hall sensor) may be the issue...

1. Check the loom between the base of the ignition switch and the main loom. These were often secured with over-tightened cable ties at the factory and their age can make the cables start to fail.
2. If you have good, reliable, continuity on (1.), then it sounds like a Hall sensor may be playing up. Do a search on here and you'll find a raft of posts about it.
3. There are very few things that will cause the bike to fire on a single cylinder. I assume from the context of your post that this is a single spark - so we can discount a plug-coil breaking down? If you have fuel and spark to both sides, and the injectors are producing a healthy fan-shaped spray pattern, then the timing of the spark (which leads us back to the Hall sensor) may be the issue...

Thank you Mike. I replaced the troublesome section of wiring some time ago. I think that you are right about the symptoms pointing at a defective hall sensor. I guess I'll give Motorworks a call in the morning.

You’re back! Yay! I’ve missed your ride reports!:thumb2

Wait till September !

“ I shower, shit and shave and then head deep into O…..”

yelrotflmao.gif

Back
Top Bottom