K1300GT idle speed

busy builder

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Just bought a K1300gt and the idle speed is approx 1600/1700 rpm.
The seller said it was set by BMW at one of its services it has full BMW service history and is upto date.

Is this normal ?

Also first gear selection is fun sometimes it's quiet and just snicks in, other times you can hear it in the next town lol.

K1300GT

I had one of these when first out. Brilliant bike . Better engine torque curve than the 1300S. I seem to remember idle speed 900/1000. The high idle may be the problem with the clunking into1st. Mine was never cause for worry. I also seem to recall the clutch lever throw needed getting just right .Try selecting 2nd the straight into 1st. I remember there was a mod on battery and starter by BM under warranty. Might be worth checking it`s been done. I have somewhere an aftermarket slave cylinder from the States which was suppose to give a better throw but I never used it. You can have it FOC if it helps.....Den

That's bullsh*t...

Idle speed is controlled by the idle servo motor. It is computer controlled. It can not be adjusted.

It's either got some kind of electronic trickery or re-map.

However. This might not a bad thing. K1300's tend to enjoy randomly cutting out. It's a bain of K1200/K1300 ownership.

I had one of these when first out. Brilliant bike . Better engine torque curve than the 1300S. I seem to remember idle speed 900/1000. The high idle may be the problem with the clunking into1st. Mine was never cause for worry. I also seem to recall the clutch lever throw needed getting just right .Try selecting 2nd the straight into 1st. I remember there was a mod on battery and starter by BM under warranty. Might be worth checking it`s been done. I have somewhere an aftermarket slave cylinder from the States which was suppose to give a better throw but I never used it. You can have it FOC if it helps.....Den

It wasn't a recall. It was only done for customers who complained. The engines get too hot. Too much friction. Then they won't hot start. People would melt the battery leads by trying. So the fix was to put a secondary high amp cable in. Piggybacked to the original. I did this many times at work.

Idle sounds far too high. IIRC 1000ish (I’ve not ridden mine since December!)

Use the VOSA (or whatever reorganisation new name they now have) checker to see if any recalls outstanding (iirc battery lead, cam guide on 1200s, rear hub at least).

1st crunches are normal, how many miles has it got on it?

A

Idle speed definitely too high and if it hasn't already it will drive you nuts. Needs fixing. As for the K13s randomly cutting out, I had a K13GT for a couple of years and a K13S for five years and it never happened, don't know about the 1200s. The K13GT is a fantastic bike, brilliantly comfy and with a superb engine and the brakes to match, when you've sorted the idle (and learned to live with the clunk into first) you'll enjoy it, I'm sure.

Thanks for all replies. The bike done 32k, I've ridden it from Darlington to Inverness, then down to Hereford, apart from idle it's a great bike , in really good nick and full BMW history. I reset the idle by using the throttle...rewind 3 times... and it settled down to 1100rpm. Until I switched the engine off then it reverted back to high idle.
These bikes fly, well almost

There could also be a faulty sensor. Idle is controlled by the idle servo motor. Which is controlled by the BMSKP ECU. Monitoring the outputs of the intake air temperature etc for realistic readings may help. The bike may think it's running lean or the temperature is too cold so increasing fuel.

Or the throttle bodies TPS or motor itset maybe wearing out. Incredibly expensive to replace. Non-serviceable.

Hi . Someone with better knowledge will be along but I also remember that there is a `self learn`? Ignition on -turn to full throttle 3/4 times ignition off -restart. might help. As I said before selecting 2nd and straight into 1st helped. Try bleeding the clutch as I did find the clutch lever spread quite wide and adjusting for smaller hand the clutch dragged. Hence the USA mod.

Hi . Someone with better knowledge will be along but I also remember that there is a `self learn`? Ignition on -turn to full throttle 3/4 times ignition off -restart. might help. As I said before selecting 2nd and straight into 1st helped. Try bleeding the clutch as I did find the clutch lever spread quite wide and adjusting for smaller hand the clutch dragged. Hence the USA mod.

This is the throttle position sensor. Its a crude way of resetting it. But the bike is self learning. It makes no difference if there is a fault.

Did that throttle reset, works for while and then goes back to 1600 rpm.

Did that throttle reset, works for while and then goes back to 1600 rpm.

Could be a throttle body fault. You have the opposite fault of most people where the revs drop too low and the bike cuts out.

Only £2000 for new throttles. Bargain.

Back
Top Bottom