Headlight aim causes MOT Failure

Status
Not open for further replies.
As an MOT tester, let me tell you something that I have learned from my twenty years in Motorcycle MOT stations.

1) Most MOT testers don't test the headlight further than "It works" and it's not pointing at the floor or pointing into the sky. This is because it's a two man job to use the MOT beam tester.

2) Most MOT testers don't understand how to use the beam tester. And they haven't known since they did their MOT course decades ago. Let alone understand the charts and rules that relate to them.

3) It's quite normal for your MOT tester to not even be a mechanic. Or even have a bike licence. It's quite common for the parts guy or a random salesmen to be pulled off his desk to do an MOT when the mechanic is too busy.

The DSA have very little time or respect for Motorcycle MOT's. They're all car and truck guys and see Motorcycles as weekend toys. This a good and bad thing.. Otherwise you'd have emission tests, massive mirrors and failures for engine management lights etc

There is your inconsistency.

Took my 1150R to Russel Motors. They just adjusted the headlight angle, then past it..Agreed it wasnt a side angle, just an up and down one and easily fixed by tilting the headlight down. Great service

Took my 1150R to Russel Motors. They just adjusted the headlight angle, then past it..Agreed it wasnt a side angle, just an up and down one and easily fixed by tilting the headlight down. Great service

During an MOT, you're not actually allowed to do this. In theory you're meant to "PRS" (Pass with rectification at station) which can be a bit of a pain to do. And you need the customers permission.

Although many testers will rectify things if it's quick and easy and they have pre-approval from the customer.

However, I have seen many situations where a well-meaning tester has tried to adjust a headlight and then the headlight has broken. The headlight was already broken but now the garage had to replace the headlight because they tried to adjust it without permission.

I've also had customers complain about testers putting reflector stickers on people's bikes to get them through an MOT. Or whine when the tester fitted a new bulb which wasn't the colour they wanted etc

This is why many stations will just fail you for very simple easy things. It's all about liability. And customers being arseholes when you're just trying to help them out.

HOWEVER !! I've seen so many bikes failed incorrectly. And passed incorrectly. An MOT can be a complete joke. There are so many testers who don't have a clue. No mechanical knowledge or experience. They shouldn't even be testers. But the DSA don't check their credentials before allowing them to do the course.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Back
Top Bottom