Looking For Advice

SussexMan

Reaction score
Hi GS experts,

I made the fatal mistake of using a friends 1200GS (2018) and I must admit it has given me the GS bug. Unfortunately due to budget, I cannot afford something of that age. I have been looking around and for my price range I’m looking at models from 2006-2008 with mileage ranging between 16,000 miles and 30,000. With bikes of that age, they vary on service history and amount of owners. It appears from some research earlier models can be a risk in particular the FD.

Trying to see if it’s worth the risk of purchasing an older model. I appreciate it will not ride quite like a model 10 years it’s junior but I’m determined to own one.

If anyone knows of the cost of replacing FD’s it would be interesting to know. This could be a case of looking to deeply into YouTube and forum comments around the ‘issue’.

Thanks in advance!

Hi GS experts,

I made the fatal mistake of using a friends 1200GS (2018) and I must admit it has given me the GS bug. Unfortunately due to budget, I cannot afford something of that age. I have been looking around and for my price range I’m looking at models from 2006-2008 with mileage ranging between 16,000 miles and 30,000. With bikes of that age, they vary on service history and amount of owners. It appears from some research earlier models can be a risk in particular the FD.

Trying to see if it’s worth the risk of purchasing an older model. I appreciate it will not ride quite like a model 10 years it’s junior but I’m determined to own one.

If anyone knows of the cost of replacing FD’s it would be interesting to know. This could be a case of looking to deeply into YouTube and forum comments around the ‘issue’.

Thanks in advance!

I've had 4 GSA's over the years, mileages varying from 5k up to 40k, and have never had a final drive issue. :thumby:

That's the thing with specific bike forums....the odd problem gets shouted from the rooftops but no one hears a dicky bird from the majority of owners with 10's of 1000's of miles of trouble free ownership. :thumby:

I've had 4 GSA's over the years, mileages varying from 5k up to 40k, and have never had a final drive issue. :thumby:

That's the thing with specific bike forums....the odd problem gets shouted from the rooftops but no one hears a dicky bird from the majority of owners with 10's of 1000's of miles of trouble free ownership. :thumby:

You've right, no one likes good news.

I have just sold my 06 GS, 40+thousand miles no FD issues at all, its the servo/ABS & fuel strip issues you should be looking at, 08 onwards much better bet if you can push the budget a bit.

Al.

Appreciate the comments all, I wasn’t expecting replies so quickly. Nice to see some positive messages about FD’s. @DevonAl thanks for the advice on servo/ABS & fuel strips. Will look into it. Budget could stretch slightly but even for the age of bike they don’t come cheap!

Appreciate the comments all, I wasn’t expecting replies so quickly. Nice to see some positive messages about FD’s. @DevonAl thanks for the advice on servo/ABS & fuel strips. Will look into it. Budget could stretch slightly but even for the age of bike they don’t come cheap!

Check out Mikeyboy on here for FDs.
Or buy my bike to get one he’s already done!

Back
Top Bottom