Stanchion replacment

yoda1965

Reaction score
Hi all. This is an interesting one.
I recently purchased a 2016 R1200gs lc from a private seller. He did all his own servicing so there was little or no BMW service history.
I decided to get the bike a full service as there was 15k miles on the clock. I rang my local stealers and booked it in. They informed me that my bike was also due a recall which would be free of charge.
I of course checked this out on the net and it seems there was a problem with the top of the fork stanchions and they were replacing the black rubber with a steel bushing.

I was booked in for 8am as they wanted it up early so as to allow the bike to completely cool down before doing the valve clearances etc. I was there on time and I hung around for the day as I was informed that they are no longer loaning out bikes to customers unless the customer is willing to pay €70 (£50).

Anyway, at around 14:30 my bike was brought around by the mechanic who told me everything was 100%. I settled up and headed home.
After arriving home I noticed that the black rubbers were still on the top of the fork stanchions. Immediately I thought that they hadn't done the recall even though I saw the mechanic removing one of the forks......

The shop was shut so I had to wait until Monday morning to ring.

The stealer informed me that the recall was indeed done. My fork stanchions were replaced with the newer modified stanchion. I said that as far as I was aware the top of the stanchion should now have a metal collar on it. He said no, the newer stanchion did not require a metal collar.

Any of you guys come across this before?
Thanks, Ray.

The collar was done as a 'quick' mod to bikes in the field, this was years ago (2013) mine was done - later bikes did not require it. If they replaced the entire stanchion then there is no need for the collar. All the later new bikes do not have the collar.

Back
Top Bottom