Nippy Normans supply Touratech, Wunderlich and many other makes of accessories. The ULTIMATE Diagnostic tool FOR BMW motorcycles.

Thread: GS-911 updates thread

Subscriber Click here to find out how to Subscribe

GS-911 updates thread

Hey guys

We're starting a thread here to keep everyone updated on the latest releases of the GS-911 software - June's update was released last week and the full change log can be found below:
    https://www.hexgs911.com/news/june-2...ware-upgrades/

The biggest highlights from the diagnostic functionality added:
    1. K001 (new bikes) cluster coding has been released, this applies to most LC models (excluding the USA TFT bikes) where you are now able to change your display from miles to KM, PSI to BAR, etc.
    2. K24 (old bikes) retrofits for indicator changes to LED and DWA/RDC removal/addition.

Let us know if you have any questions or suggestions, it's always helpful to see what everyone wants/requires.

Kind regards and safe travels!

Quote Originally Posted by ThatguyfromHEX View Post
    Hey guys

We're starting a thread here to keep everyone updated on the latest releases of the GS-911 software - June's update was released last week and the full change log can be found below:
    https://www.hexgs911.com/news/june-2...ware-upgrades/

The biggest highlights from the diagnostic functionality added:
    1. K001 (new bikes) cluster coding has been released, this applies to most LC models (excluding the USA TFT bikes) where you are now able to change your display from miles to KM, PSI to BAR, etc.
    2. K24 (old bikes) retrofits for indicator changes to LED and DWA/RDC removal/addition.

Let us know if you have any questions or suggestions, it's always helpful to see what everyone wants/requires.

Kind regards and safe travels!
    While you are here.
    I have a R1250 and a F850.
    Checking out the GS911 (Red type) App on my phone, neither of the models where listed in the Android App.
    I did try to update it, my version is 1.0.7, connection used is WiFi direct mode.

Quote Originally Posted by knutk View Post
    While you are here.
    I have a R1250 and a F850.
    Checking out the GS911 (Red type) App on my phone, neither of the models where listed in the Android App.
    I did try to update it, my version is 1.0.7, connection used is WiFi direct mode.
    Hey Knutk

When referring to WiFi direct mode, do you mean D2D? More on D2D here: https://youtu.be/nlCgbs9AjNw

If yes, then you might first want to start with simply uninstalling the android app and re-installing from the playstore. Most of the time, some permissions aren't granted when installing, which leaves the app unable to communicate over a network.

A quick workaround while connected to the GS-911's network (it will read something like GS911_1395 - I've included a quick snip of how mine is displayed below), is to open your browser - usually Google Chrome or Safari for iOS, and type in http://10.0.0.1 - this is the device's default IP address and will get you up and running with emergency functionality.

If you are referring to Infrastructure mode, that means you've already completed the setup and the device is connected (identified with a double beep once it connects), then the first point is most likely the case - uninstall and re-install and accept the appropriate permissions.

Alternatively, it could be that your mobile is not on the same WiFi network that is setup on the GS-911. This could be due to Dual band networks that broadcast both 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks (note that the GS-911 is not compatible with 5GHz networks). In this case, I would suggest splitting the networks and connecting your phone to the 2.4GHz network.

If you are on the same network and still don't see the GS-911 in the app, type the following into your browser - it's the defaults page for a GS-911 that is connected to a network: http://gs911_xxxx.local , where the 4 x's are the last four digits of your GS-911 serial number. So if yours reads GS1 001 234, the address will be http://gs911_1234.local

Kind regards

the updates are to the red box - get it on a windows machine and it'll offer both new web interface and then firmware update to the box of tricks - they enabled lots of new features

I normally write down the updates (just looked)
    Mar 22 firmware 170 - 0.230 and data pack 211
    Jun 22 firmware 170 - 0.243 and data pack 219

Quote Originally Posted by ThatguyfromHEX View Post
    Hey Knutk

When referring to WiFi direct mode, do you mean D2D? More on D2D here: https://youtu.be/nlCgbs9AjNw

If yes, then you might first want to start with simply uninstalling the android app and re-installing from the playstore. Most of the time, some permissions aren't granted when installing, which leaves the app unable to communicate over a network.

A quick workaround while connected to the GS-911's network (it will read something like GS911_1395 - I've included a quick snip of how mine is displayed below), is to open your browser - usually Google Chrome or Safari for iOS, and type in http://10.0.0.1 - this is the device's default IP address and will get you up and running with emergency functionality.

If you are referring to Infrastructure mode, that means you've already completed the setup and the device is connected (identified with a double beep once it connects), then the first point is most likely the case - uninstall and re-install and accept the appropriate permissions.

Alternatively, it could be that your mobile is not on the same WiFi network that is setup on the GS-911. This could be due to Dual band networks that broadcast both 2.4GHz and 5GHz networks (note that the GS-911 is not compatible with 5GHz networks). In this case, I would suggest splitting the networks and connecting your phone to the 2.4GHz network.

If you are on the same network and still don't see the GS-911 in the app, type the following into your browser - it's the defaults page for a GS-911 that is connected to a network: http://gs911_xxxx.local , where the 4 x's are the last four digits of your GS-911 serial number. So if yours reads GS1 001 234, the address will be http://gs911_1234.local

Kind regards
    I followed the advise above:
    - Started by connecting the GS-911 to PC using USB cable, and updated hardware for the Dongle.
    - Removed software from PC, including WiFi utility, and installed the GS-911 Diagnostics
    - Removed app from phone and loaded the new app from Google Play (Android)
    - Entered WiFi setup for Dongle and made it connect to PC through WiFi via the network in my garage (Infrastructure mode).
    - The new App alowed me to connect to phone via the Infrastructure mode, and the phone then offered full functionality, with all the functions found on the PC (but the small screen makes it a pain, compared to the PC)
    - Selected D2D mode by pushing the button on the rear of the Dongle, and selected the GS911_xxxx as network connection on my phone. This offered the limited functionality offered to the phone when not in range of home network.
    - The newest bikes became available on the phone as well

All in all, it now it all works, and previously I struggled to use the GS911 in Infrastructure mode. 9 of 10 times it would time out. With the new software it seemed to work just fine.

So thank you very much for the advise. It was 'Spot On'

Quote Originally Posted by knutk View Post
    I followed the advise above:
    - Started by connecting the GS-911 to PC using USB cable, and updated hardware for the Dongle.
    - Removed software from PC, including WiFi utility, and installed the GS-911 Diagnostics
    - Removed app from phone and loaded the new app from Google Play (Android)
    - Entered WiFi setup for Dongle and made it connect to PC through WiFi via the network in my garage (Infrastructure mode).
    - The new App alowed me to connect to phone via the Infrastructure mode, and the phone then offered full functionality, with all the functions found on the PC (but the small screen makes it a pain, compared to the PC)
    - Selected D2D mode by pushing the button on the rear of the Dongle, and selected the GS911_xxxx as network connection on my phone. This offered the limited functionality offered to the phone when not in range of home network.
    - The newest bikes became available on the phone as well

All in all, it now it all works, and previously I struggled to use the GS911 in Infrastructure mode. 9 of 10 times it would time out. With the new software it seemed to work just fine.

So thank you very much for the advise. It was 'Spot On'
    Hi Knutk

That's great news, and thank you for elaborating on your steps as well, I'm sure that will help other guys out if they are struggling and searching the forums. Whenever in doubt, you can always visit our FAQs on the website as well, if you're struggling with it, we've probably made an FAQ on it :-)
    https://www.hexgs911.com/faq/

Kind regards