10W60?

The Other PaulG

Still searching
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Crikey, I'd never heard of that until I saw the spec in my CARC owner's manual.

It seems like a very sophisticated oil - are Guzzi covering all options for owners from Oslo to Ouarzazate, or do these engines really require such a broad range?

Anyway, if you are looking, I finally found some at Euro Car Parts, and Opie oils came highly recommended as a mail order option. :thumb2

I believe KTM spec this as well. Some Swiss Motorex branded that you get a litre in exchange for several carats of diamonds.

I believe KTM spec this as well. Some Swiss Motorex branded that you get a litre in exchange for several carats of diamonds.

For high temps with their V twins & big bore singles that like a drink. Motul make 10w60 as well as Motorex, and it's a bit cheaper.

Crikey, I'd never heard of that until I saw the spec in my CARC owner's manual.

It seems like a very sophisticated oil - are Guzzi covering all options for owners from Oslo to Ouarzazate, or do these engines really require such a broad range?

Anyway, if you are looking, I finally found some at Euro Car Parts, and Opie oils came highly recommended as a mail order option. :thumb2

If you have the flat tappet rather than the later 'rollerised' engine, make sure the oil has a high zinc content.

I use Rock Oil TRM Synthetic 4 Stroke Racing Oil 20W60 in my Guzzi.

10W60 is recommended for Harleys and also, (so I have read), for Ducati air-cooled twins, simply because air-cooled motors have larger clearances.

If you have the flat tappet rather than the later 'rollerised' engine, make sure the oil has a high zinc content.

Thanks Al. I do indeed have flat tappets. I am using Castrol Edge synthetic - I have found a spec on the Opie Oils site as follows:

Oil Viscosity Classification SAE 10W-60
Specification ACEA A3/B3, A3/B4
Specification API SN/CF

Does any of that relate to zinc content?

Thanks Al. I do indeed have flat tappets. I am using Castrol Edge synthetic - I have found a spec on the Opie Oils site as follows:

Specification API SN/CF

Zinc content is measured in ppm and levels have been reduced or removed from later spec oils (anything after SF I think?) to reduce emissions.
I believe that a decent level of ZDDP (1000+ ppm) is recommended for older air cooled engines but I'm not so sure if it's quite as important with newer designs (unless they're flat tappets?). I use Pistoneze Classic (1130ppm ZDDP) in my airhead but Motul 7100 10w60 (no Zinc AFAIK) was the oil of choice for my Ducati 1100 Hypermotard.

Specification API SN/CF

I hope this link helps, but it is american. As mentioned earlier I used Valvoline VR1 in my Stelvios because of the high zinc content. I've no idea what amount of zinc (if any) castrol edge has.

https://listerinfo.com/recommendations/what-engine-oil-has-the-most-zinc.html

https://lujackhyundai.com/service-and-maintenance/what-motor-oil-has-the-most-zddp.html

Back
Top Bottom