Post 'drop' oil spill......

Phil W 05_1200GS

Reaction score
ok - So I'm not realy ready to talk about how this hapened yet... other than saying I was a muppet....:blast I was very lucky with no injuries and only minor bike damage (I hope!)... :rolleyes:

My 05 1200GS slid down the road a little way last week and then flipped over. When it came to rest there was a small pool of oil under the engine area. The engne stayed running until I could switch it off - just a few seconds...... There is no obvioud damage to the rocker cover, as the plastic covers did a great job in protecting them. Could the oil have come from a breather or should I be looking for mechanical damage on the head/rocker cover?

The second issue is that the bars were pushed sideways in the clamps by around 50mm and are bent... There was obviously quite a substantial impact there. Are there any other known weak points I should be checking for damage around the headstock etc?

I am a reasonably competent DiY mechanic/engineer of many years varied experience, and plan to re-commission the bike myself. I'll obviously do a full inspection/survey when it returns. However, experience or advice would be much appreciated as I am quite new to the GS!

Thanks, in anticipation, Phil

Cool first post Phil!!
Glad you're OK

Can't help technically other than to say a good look around may rule in/out rocker cover damage, don't know about breather but I guess it will end up in the airbox, might have been in there ages until gravity took hold...

Hope you are ok?
There is a breather rubber bung on top of the gearbox so it might have come from there, did it smell like engine or gearbox oil?
Not sure if your bike has servo brakes, mine did, but could it have been brake fluid but I am sure you can tell the difference!!!

It's only embarrassing when you have to tell the insurance company how you managed to get horizontal and no one else is involved.

Sometimes the rocker cover absorbs some of the impact and lets some oil out as it happened to mine also, stationary top over and the second time sliding down the road a bit.

Remove the spark plug covers and check for oil, if all is clear then just top the oil up and ride off. You might need to check back after a hard ride, engine pressure will show weak points.

IF oil comes of the spark plug covers after it, it is the cover that is damaged and trust me it is far simpler to replace than to try taking it off to check it's flat. I had a small leak after sliding down the road, the cover did its job and why it's made from magnesium (£128), the 4 bolts are sacrificial (£11 each).

What had happened to me, is that the crash bar absorbed most of the impact, but pushed on the cover and the bike slid on its side with only minor scratching of the cover. It wasn't till i was riding it back from the South of France did i find oil leaking from the head cover and onto my boot. Just kept checking it every stop. DONT TRY AND TIGHTEN or you will F*up the threads. All 4 bolts had slightly bent to the left (as they are designed) and stopped supporting the cover seal, replaced all 4 and it was better, but not solved. In the end, just purchased a brand new cover, and used the old gaskets = the issue was solved.

Rather than everyone play a pointless game of guess where “the small pool of oil under the engine area” is coming from, how about you having a look to see where the oil has come from.

Well, obviously that is what I'm going to do.... However, I have found that other forums are a useful source of advice from knowledgeable folk who are able and willing to help. I thought it might be helpful. Please accept my apologies....

I'm now trying to work out which steptoe you are... The grumpy one or the funny one?

Worst thing is picking the bloody thing up!.

Well, obviously that is what I'm going to do.... However, I have found that other forums are a useful source of advice from knowledgeable folk who are able and willing to help. I thought it might be helpful. Please accept my apologies....

I'm now trying to work out which steptoe you are... The grumpy one or the funny one?

You will certainly find out , but you need to be a subscriber first:)

I've known of the oil temperature sensor leaking oil out due to a corroded alloy sealing washer between it and the engine top casing. Rain/salt corrodes the washer causing it to weep oil under pressure, the oil pools atop the engine casings under the alternator then runs down the LH (lower) side near the sightglass when on the sidestand. The sensor is actually mounted on RH front side top of the engine by the alternator.

In your case though my suspicion is a leak from the gearbox breather as already suggested.

I'm now trying to work out which Steptoe you are... The grumpy one or the funny one?

I'll give you 50/50, it isn't Harold! He certainly is the wizened ole codger that bathes in the sink, I know I've met him!:p

step-toe-in-bath-shower-bath-time-gif-17177546.gif

I've known of the oil temperature sensor leaking oil out due to a corroded alloy sealing washer between it and the engine top casing. Rain/salt corrodes the washer causing it to weep oil under pressure, the oil pools atop the engine casings under the alternator then runs down the LH (lower) side near the sightglass when on the sidestand. The sensor is actually mounted on RH front side top of the engine by the alternator.

In your case though my suspicion is a leak from the gearbox breather as already suggested.

I’ve had exactly this. Oil would run down when on the side stand. Pinched up the sender and all good.

Back
Top Bottom