MRA routes/Tracks waypoints in Garmin

Orinoco

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I've been using the free version of MRA which is great for planning routes, but I cannot seem to get waypoints to transfer to Garmin. Well, that's not quite true, the start and end points transfer and when initially transferring a route, using the export to Garmin via bluetooth magic thing, the intermediated waypoints appear, but then Garmin recalculates and the route changes. If I export as a track I can still follow the intended route.

Is this something overcome in the Silver/Gold versions or is there a way of making the intermediate waypoints work?

Thanks

Always export to Garmin as a track and then convert to route. In MRA route planner at top right of the map there are layers with different maps available. In the drop down list select 'Here', which is the map Garmin uses. Doing both those ensures you get a good route in Trip Planner.

It's maybe more of a Garmin issue. The export works and Garmin imports/recalcs the route, when I open the route in Route Planner all the waypoints are there and I can see them in the view map option, but when selecting 'go' Garmin asks which waypoint to start from, but only shows the start and end waypoints.

Edit...

Think I've solved it. The intermediate points appear to be shaping points, so Garmin cannot route to them, but selecting the little radio button next to each in Trip Planner recalls to that point and in doing so it becomes a Waypoint which in turn forces the route to follow the track. A bit of a pain if there are lots of points, but a solution

I use the Pro version. I bought the subscription years ago, when it was very cheap but only started using MyRoute itself a few months ago.

In Pro you can chose the number of shaping points you want and / or the number of waypoints. You can also chose the type of file you wish to export. It works perfectly with my XT. These options might be available in the basic free version too? I don’t know as I don’t have it. Take care though as Garmin reads the shaping points differently and restricts the number, to something like 29. That though is a big number.

Converting from a track does of course work but you lose any waypoints (for example, say a restaurant you want to stop at) when you do so. This is fine if you know where the restaurant is but not so good if you don’t or want to share the route with someone who doesn’t know.

The workaround would be to:

A. Insert the waypoints by hand, directly into your device.

B. Break the route into segments. End one segment at tge restaurant and start a second segment from the restaurant to wherever you want to go to next.

Back
Top Bottom