Finland - Car / motorcycle train

Interesting lateral thinking, also eco way to go

Indeed.

A quick look at the map shows that Kolari is a long way north.

b1f20a821e15279111099f8996fe1261.png

I have a log cabin about an hour north of Kolari, the train is a good way to go north. If you keep to the west of the country much of it is like a green tunnel through the endless forest. Sleeper train is great in winter, nice alternative to flying (to Kittila).

Can be cold in winter

Attachments

• image0(20).jpeg
    image0(20).jpeg
    130.8 KB · Views: 208
  • image1(15).jpeg
    image1(15).jpeg
    146.4 KB · Views: 202
I have been up there and a bit further north still, on insurance visits to Stora Enso, the paper giant and to Swedish Steel / the Iron Railway. It’s odd, particularly for someone from London, that you can wander off a path in the wilderness and think that there is a pretty good chance that nobody has ever stood there before. You can’t even do that on the top of Everest.

I am not sure that this line gets mentioned too often.

It might work well in such a large country.

https://www.vr.fi/en/carcarrier

That looks interesting! In my ride to Tallinn last month I was out off the long ride to Nordkapp by my memory of how boring the ride to the Arctic Circle was in 2012….this would break that up a bit!

Mind you my brief visit to Helsinki suggested Finland is mind-numbingly expensive to us, the (dare I say it, post Brexit dividend) paupers of Europe

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Finland is expensive, Norway isn’t cheap, Sweden is pricey and Denmark, too.

If it is of interest .... I selected a date at random, Friday June 9th.

One way fare from Pasila (Helsinki) to Rovaniemi taking at two bunk compartment with ensuite/shower, one adult, one motorcycle is €152.70 (£135.33 as of 02 Jan 2023)
Loading commences at 18h00 and completes by 18h40
Train departure at 19h37
Arrival at 07h20 next day

On the website there is a video of loading and tying down a motorcycle.

Some may disagree ... but that sure is a good price. For comparison I used the DB Auto Zug (Motorail) service from Dusseldorf Germany to Villach Austria and it was €984 in 2013 for three motorcycles, three adults in 4 bunk ensuite / shower.

Yip looks good. I Found a trip leaving Pasila at 9 at night and getting into Rovaniemi at 10 the next day for 144 euro. Cost at least 75 euro in fuel to get that far north from Helsinki and your nights accomodation is sorted! That is for sleeping in a chair though!

Finland is expensive, Norway isn’t cheap, Sweden is pricey and Denmark, too.
In the north a pint is about €8, large pizza €14, litre winebox about €10, stuff in the supermarket not bad if you don't select the delicacies flown in that day. Spirits are expensive but you can take your own.

Helsinki bars tend to be more expensive. And the sleeper is a great way to travel, they have modern carriages which are good.

In the north a pint is about €8, large pizza €14, litre winebox about €10, stuff in the supermarket not bad if you don't select the delicacies flown in that day. Spirits are expensive but you can take your own.

Helsinki bars tend to be more expensive. And the sleeper is a great way to travel, they have modern carriages which are good.
Those prices are not as bad as was fearing. I’m going next month for 3 weeks and was expecting higher prices than those. €8 for a pint it’s too bad. It’s that sort of money in Chamonix, Paris etc.

Those prices are not as bad as was fearing. I’m going next month for 3 weeks and was expecting higher prices than those. €8 for a pint it’s too bad. It’s that sort of money in Chamonix, Paris etc.
How did you get on with your trip ? All was well I trust ?

How did you get on with your trip ? All was well I trust ?
Absolutely the best bike trip I’ve done. Brilliant scenery, people, accommodation, food, beers etc. All of it really. Sure it’s expensive, I knew this before I went and saved up accordingly. I didn’t want skimp on meals beers etc.
If you‘re considering going I can only encourage you to do it. The ferry system is just so easy to use. I registered both my and my son’s bike with Ferrypay before going and it’s literally ride up and go. We tended to book hotels for the two days ahead and never had any problem. The Lofoton Islands were fantastic to ride around and I would heartily recommend going there. I would go again at the drop of a hat.

Just to clarify for anyone else going, I was referring to the north of Finland, as per the thread title, not all of Scandinavia

Absolutely the best bike trip I’ve done. Brilliant scenery, people, accommodation, food, beers etc. All of it really. Sure it’s expensive, I knew this before I went and saved up accordingly. I didn’t want skimp on meals beers etc.
If you‘re considering going I can only encourage you to do it. The ferry system is just so easy to use. I registered both my and my son’s bike with Ferrypay before going and it’s literally ride up and go. We tended to book hotels for the two days ahead and never had any problem. The Lofoton Islands were fantastic to ride around and I would heartily recommend going there. I would go again at the drop of a hat.
That is great to hear and so glad you enjoyed it. I put up a thread a couple of years ago for a Finland trip I did with some old work chums and that too was my first taste of heading "proper north". I loved it absolutely loved it. Lofoten Islands HAVE to be done, and they will be it is as always a matter of planning ! Thanks for the chat, nice to see other chaps loving that bit of the world !

Thanks Wappers! I've proposed this as a 2025 holiday with wife and small person and my proposal has been accepted.

Although in the car, not on a motorbike. :thumby:

Thanks Wappers! I've proposed this as a 2025 holiday with wife and small person and my proposal has been accepted.

Although in the car, not on a motorbike. :thumby:
Car or bike I am sure that will still be lovely for you all 👍

Back
Top Bottom