Khulu's Road trip to Assen Motogp via Romania 2022

I take it you will be stopping in the area until after the Moto GP Khulu; if so; there's a few places you could wonder around that may peak your interest; the campsite was good when we last stayed there; it will be even better now with the pool and the bunk house;:beerjug:
I came over that way so may have a look on Monday

Sent from my SM-A125F using Tapatalk

We need more pics Iain :beerjug:
It's only 27C and sunny here in Scarperia but I feel like a greasy spot! Yes I had a good shower and hair wash yesterday. 4 days camping and I'll be minging come Monday.

It's only 27C and sunny here in Scarperia but I feel like a greasy spot! Yes I had a good shower and hair wash yesterday. 4 days camping and I'll be minging come Monday.

Dirty boy.

Dirty boy.
I'm thirsty!!!!!!

7e90130209b6fd9981187dec66544303.jpg

Sent details by WhatsApp. It's a campervan site on grass so email and check a wee tent is okay.

Its a wine merchant, sounds ideal

https://www.lacantinadelvinobarga.com/gb/content/11-Camper-roulotte-barga

You probably know this already Iain, but Barga has the highest population of Scots in Italy, Mostly from my home town Inverness :thumb I went there with the strange one on the back on a 1200GSA . Great windy roads to get there, but totally scottified :blast I mean tins of McEwens export in the front shop windows, I would imagine warm if not tepid :barf. Tartan every fekin where, I didn't like it at all. We were staying in an air bnb in Camigliano, just outside Lucca. not a word of English spoken -- just how I like it :thumb Anyways, have great time, see and send plenty piccies.

You probably know this already Iain, but Barga has the highest population of Scots in Italy, Mostly from my home town Inverness :thumb I went there with the strange one on the back on a 1200GSA . Great windy roads to get there, but totally scottified :blast I mean tins of McEwens export in the front shop windows, I would imagine warm if not tepid :barf. Tartan every fekin where, I didn't like it at all. We were staying in an air bnb in Camigliano, just outside Lucca. not a word of English spoken -- just how I like it :thumb Anyways, have great time, see and send plenty piccies.

I understand what you mean but I think there is a different reason for it appearing to be Scottish, rather than being full of Scots. Wife's grandmother was from there along with many others whose families moved in the early 1900s to Scotland. Many of the family members moved back to Barga, many families still send their kids to the family chip or ice cream shop in Scotland for a couple of years to learn English, and they all come back with Scottish language and some of the tastes. But they are still Italian and it is very much an Italian town. It's just that if someone speaks broken English the chances are it will be with a Scottish accent which can sound a little strange. And some of them like Scottish beer.

Hi, I think I may not fully explained my logic.
I went there back in the 60's with the BB's sponsored by a local legend, Renzo Serrafinni who owned various restaurants in Inverness, a great bloke. Was a great trip, played the pipes and drums in the square, had a town hall reception in our honour, just wanted to go back years later on and see for myself. You are right, the locals are all home grown locals but the razamattaz with being linked to Scotland nowadays is a bit overpowering. And I guess a lot of Scots have made their home there as a result of this unification. TBH I never saw /heard a single scots voice all the time I was there, although the stats say that a lot of Scots have settled there .
Just this strange sights of waiters with kilts on speaking very broken English.
Good luck to them I say, just not my cup of tea.

You are taking EU by storm Iain !

I said that I'd give you info on some campsites that might be of interest..Albania and FYROM might not end up being on your route but Romania certainly is, and Camping Ananas is perfectly located to have a round trip of the Transfargarasan, if fact I'd say to ride the highway north / south and drop right down on the south side, then turn around after a food stop and ride back up and down the north side back to Sibiu !
You'll get the best of all the views that way and the road continuing south was ( is still ? ) in pretty bad shape, and very slow thanks to Romania building town linear rather than in clusters...non stop 50kmh speed limits for a long way.
Camping Ananas is really chilled but then again Sibiu is also a really nice city to hang out.

https://www.ananas7b.de/en/home_english.html

Camping Rino ( ran by an Albanian called Marino ) is another nice place to stop, has it's own little restaurant selling local food and when you arrive he gives out free Rakia, when you get up in the morning everyone gets free espresso :thumb2. What's not to like.

https://campingrino.wordpress.com/

Camping Kranea in Albania is German owned but run by a really nice Albanian family, onsite restaurant and in a really quiet spot on the beach just a few kms from Himare.
And if you do make it there make sure that you ride the coastal road between Vlore and Sarande as it's stunning !

https://camping-kranea.com

So much to see and just not enough time !

Enjoy :thumb

Lotschburg tunnel from Kandesteg to Gopplestein. 30 minutes and the bikers have a seating carriage just for them. No queuing and on first - slick. My Nav 5 showed me a picture of a boat but the road signs showed a car on a bogie! I didn't know what was ahead. We must have been about 3000ft high.

4aedf50265a2d803841ffc4026e6380c.jpg

79518b5fee4c866a7876277f053b7625.jpg

53f000f4bead046ca4b857ce5c30a490.jpg

Handy info. Thanks Iain. Nice n easy does it. :thumb2

We don’t want pics of a hairy arsed biker :blast
Bike in interesting places, nice views, good food (so long as there’s no ketchup !) & unusual bikes that you see on your travels for all those following your adventure :beerjug:

Lotschburg tunnel from Kandesteg to Gopplestein. 30 minutes and the bikers have a seating carriage just for them. No queuing and on first - slick. My Nav 5 showed me a picture of a boat but the road signs showed a car on a bogie! I didn't know what was ahead. We must have been about 3000ft high.

I've done that trip in a car a couple of times - a lot different!! Cars sit on an open sided flat bed. You sit in the car, in the dark for 20+ minutes till it pops out the other side!!

Kandersteg is well worth a visit/stop. Site of an International Scout Camp, I have taken my scout group there a few times, both in summer and winter.

You are taking EU by storm Iain !

I said that I'd give you info on some campsites that might be of interest..Albania and FYROM might not end up being on your route but Romania certainly is, and Camping Ananas is perfectly located to have a round trip of the Transfargarasan, if fact I'd say to ride the highway north / south and drop right down on the south side, then turn around after a food stop and ride back up and down the north side back to Sibiu !
You'll get the best of all the views that way and the road continuing south was ( is still ? ) in pretty bad shape, and very slow thanks to Romania building town linear rather than in clusters...non stop 50kmh speed limits for a long way.
Camping Ananas is really chilled but then again Sibiu is also a really nice city to hang out.

https://www.ananas7b.de/en/home_english.html

Camping Rino ( ran by an Albanian called Marino ) is another nice place to stop, has it's own little restaurant selling local food and when you arrive he gives out free Rakia, when you get up in the morning everyone gets free espresso :thumb2. What's not to like.

https://campingrino.wordpress.com/

Camping Kranea in Albania is German owned but run by a really nice Albanian family, onsite restaurant and in a really quiet spot on the beach just a few kms from Himare.
And if you do make it there make sure that you ride the coastal road between Vlore and Sarande as it's stunning !

https://camping-kranea.com

So much to see and just not enough time !

Enjoy :thumb
Thanks a lot Mike. I'll check them out.

Back
Top Bottom