Cali' 3, carb model, rev counter.

ELIMINATOR

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Rev counter needle has decided to swing several hundred rpm up and down for the first few miles of the day. Then settles down as normal.

Apart from assuming it's about to die, is there anything that may cause this?

Electronic or manual drive ? If it's manual I would suggest tightening the connections at both ends.

Isn’t this a sign the coil pack is failing?

Or did I make that up..

it's a 93, with electronic rev counter.

No coil packs, just standard twin coils.

engine stutters briefly after a few hundred yards, then all is well. I'm going to drop the float bowls, see if there is any shit in there. Don't see why this would only happen when cold, but, it's an easy option.

I don't know if Moto Mecca still exists down at 3 Legged Cross but if they do, it might be worth a call to Mike the owner ?

He's the guru for Guzzi

The other place was near Pulborough, Sussex. I think it was Moto Di Marino or something like that, the owner looked like Super Mario and was a boffin on Italian stuff.

I've the same model. Had the same trouble many years ago.
For some reason a bad earth is coming to mind..... Fectifino why though :blast

Hope that is some use / quite possibly not though - i've not had sufficient caffeine nor nicotine yet today. :duno

I'll have a poke around.

Where does the rev counter get its signal from?

I've no idea, only 3 possibilities:jes

One of the coils, the Digiplex unit, the hall sensor, assume it has a hall sensor to trigger the ignition.

I had no idea at the time (and possibly now). Just followed the wiring back from the tacho.
...and I see you have Digiplex. I had moto prat.
Sorry; Motoplat! Ahem.
It was easy enough- had to be - I'm electrophobic! But I managed to fit a Dyna ignition set up on it. So it MUST be easy to suss :)
Good luck.

..... thinking on it... I'd start by seeing if there is a wire from tacho to coil.

Hall sensor? Yer own yer own there I'm afraid.
More good luck.

If you are not on any of the faecebook groups, i could ask the question on there for you if you like? :nenau

Speak to "theonandonly" on here - he is a Guzzi tech with his own business.

Did as twizzle suggested. :)

Messaged the oneandonly, he replied :beerjug: swop the coils over ? but they are very reliable . break/make all contacts , shuffle the relays and fuses . seems like a poor contact ...somewhere .

Removed relays, ( all Italian:rob) wiggled them, removed fuses..... The one that is for the ignition circuit ( well, when removed and ignition turned on, no lights came up on the dash) had obviously overheated, the plastic was quite deformed. Not looked at the fuses for many years, I've had the bike for 10.

Undone several connectors, looked at terminals for verdigris, none there, as I tend to break and make connectors and dribble ACF in, whenever I get a bike.

Not conclusive as I only revved it for a few seconds, but, the rev counter needle doesn't dance when the bike isn't moving.

No time to get on the bike today, I'll go out on it tomorrow

Ogmios, Thanks, I'll see how the situation develops, and my levels of frustration.

Found this on WildGuzzi.

So what did it take to sort the misfire? We need to keep the knowledge base updated..

Re: relay to digiplex
« Reply #15 on: March 21, 2015, 07:03:04 AM »
put new ignition switch on first did not do it
took side stand relay out of circuit wired direct to digiplex relay did not do it
tightened up and cleaned contacts in digiplex relay and cleaned relay contacts and whoo hoo
now running like a Swiss watch

Back
Top Bottom