Running a bike in, this weekend (hopefully) - 16/17 July - Meet Chelmsford

Wapping

Reaction score
Assuming it arrives on Friday, I hope to run my new 1600 in over the two days of this weekend.

I’ll use a tried and trusted route, DEPARTING from Tesco at the Miami roundabout, Chelmsford at 09:30. This is not 09:35 or 09:41. I suggest meeting at 09:00.

It’s a mixture of A and B roads via Thaxted, Linton, Newmarket, up to Walkers cafe at Barton Mills / Mildenhall for a cup of tea. Then across westwards to pass above Huntingdon, up to roughly Connington, then down (passing a bit to the west of Graham Water) for - hopefully- lunch in St Neots, all on A and B roads. Then eastwards to Cambridge, to pick up the M11 to Duxford, eastwards to Finchigfield, Great Dunmow to end at the M11 at Bishops Stortford.

It’ll be the same on both days.

Open to anyone who can ride a motorcycle, but let’s say a maximum of me plus say five other bikes. Six bikes can still get spread out, so let’s look out for each other; it’s not a feckin’ race…. We can do that some other time.

Anything else…..

1. It is going to be hot and when it’s hot there are lots of other bikes and cars. When there are lots of bikes and cars, there’s lots of police, usually armed with radar guns, not least as we are (in part) in prime bikermate territory. Normally I’d run it in over two days in the midweek or go to France but those options are not open to me. I won’t be going mad.

2. As it’s hot, I’d suggest bringing some water along with you. I’ll try to find some additional places just to pause to slurp some down.

3. Please have a full tank of fuel when we LEAVE Tesco. There is a fuel station there and (if you are very fussy about cheaper supermarket fuel) another station - Esso, I think - a couple of hundred yards away. There is then fuel again at Walkers. After Walkers there is not a whole lot of stations once we pass St Ives. So, if your bike cannot do 190 miles without refuelling, leave Chelmsford with a full tank and then top-up again at Walkers, please. There is then fuel again at Bishops Stortford.

4. I near enough know the way, all the way around but I haven’t ridden it for a while. I will run my GPX but….

i. I am testing the beta version of the BMW Connected app….. so anything can happen.

ii. The new 1600 has a large TFT screen, which apparently includes navigation, linked to my phone, linked to the app. I have no idea how it works, so I’ll be learning on the fly….. again, anything can happen.

I have attached a GPX file.

https://www.myrouteapp.com/en/social/route/5613713?mode=share

Replies via this thread please, telling me if you are coming and, most importantly, which day.

Look forward to maybe seeing some of you.

Richard

I’ll be staying in the UK, having remembered what it is I am doing on Saturday evening.

I’ve done this trip before with Richard and it’s a great run, sadly I’m helping my daughter move from Hackney to Arlesy otherwise I’d join you Richard. If I remember correctly it was a GSA that time.

Living in central London, I won’t bother to get the bike out for less than 250 miles. I don’t buy into the “I went out for an hour bimble” thing. Likewise running-in, or whatever they call it. Get it complete in two days (better still, one) on a pretty good mixture of roads and the job’s done, not least as you only have to do it once in the lifetime of the bike.

ditto. When someone says lets go to the Ace cafe or Rykas for a ride out, I tell them I'll meet them there at 13:30...And then go for a decent ride before. No point otherwie!

Bummer, roughly my neck of the woods (ish), got chauffer duties Saturday for swmbo and family visit to Gloucester Sunday, bugger, bugger. Would've been a good day on the Eldorado. Hopefully another time��

Did you get your new bike?

If you are still going for a running in ride and have room for one extra I can make Sunday?

Did it arrive? Did you go? Are you home yet?
Photos of the bike and photos of food please.

Back
Top Bottom