2022 K1600 GT

Wapping

Reaction score
I have had a 1600 since they were first released, not least as I have found nothing better for trotting around the western side of Europe and hooning in general.

Good things:

The big new TFT screen is excellent. I left central London at around 17:30, heading due east, the bright sun near enough coming over my right shoulder. The there was very little glare from the screen.

The updated suspension works well.

The engine remains very smooth, with instant power from just about anywhere.

It was fine in heavy West End London traffic from Park Lane, right out to the A406 North Circular. They are digging up lots of Mayfair and the east end of the Strand, which adds to the fun.

The lights have always been tip-top. The redesigned offerings continue the same trend.

Odd things:

The bike has done away with the cubbyhole for a GPS device, everything now coming from your smart phone. The phone sits in a new pretty neat (fan cooled) cubbyhole, up on the top of the dash. Unlike the RT and the Connected cradle, BMW decided not to give the bike wireless charging, you need a short USB-C to USB-C lead.

BMW still haven’t included some easy access power sockets for connecting heated clothing.

The bike has its own wi-fi channel, which it uses to bring the maps for the route(s) across. If you use the phone, the bike drops its wi-fi connection, so the map vanishes. You still get the basic ‘pointy arrow’ directions though, as they come across via Bluetooth. If the wi-fi drops out, you can restart it on the go BUT not if your phone has gone into sleep mode. A work around is to:

A. Ensure the Connect app is always on.

B. Switch the phone’s automatic sleep function off.

its own Wi Fi blimey ! wasn't aware of that on the new 1600 models , does it help if the phone is in Airplane mode to stop the wifi dropping ?

A. Ensure the Connect app is always on.

B. Switch the phone’s automatic sleep function off.

I have a separate iPhone, through which I can run BMW’s Connect app. Doing this does not prevent the wi-fi connection dropping during a call. It will though reconnect (it might take a while) after the call is over. As I rarely, if ever, make calls whilst hooning, this is no great problem.

More importantly, if you can leave your phone in the bike when stopped it will, after a while, restart the wi-fi without you having to take the damned phone out again and restart it manually.

There are several other foibles / glitches (I was running the beta version of the app) but on the whole it’s not bad. The big TFT screen is actually very good.

On the big 1600 I all but gave up having the rev counter on display, not least as you can short shift the thing into the upper gears with no great loss of forward hooning momentum. On any truly twisty (SE England) roads, I use gears 3, 4 and 5 mostly anyway, simply relying on how the bike feels and sounds.

I might well still mount my XT onto the bike, running it in parallel to BMW’s Connect app. Each have their own qualities and faults and I like to be flexible.

Don’t though forget that if your phone is set to permanently on (ie. sleep mode is turned off) that it will, after a few hours, near enough flatten its battery, as it is no longer being kept charged by the bike.

Another top-tip. The distance between the USB-C socket in the cubbyhole and then bottom edge of the phone is not that far. I only had a long Apple lead, which I had to coil up and cable tie, in order to just about cram it into the available space.

I have ordered a couple of USB-C to Apple iPhone short leads, in the hope of finding something better.

NeilDD has kindly suggested that I buy a charging mat, to see if that can maybe be slid in and wirelessly charge the phone that way. I might well give it a go sometime. I think though it will be too deep, as there is not a lot of space.

And it may get too hot and stop charging- like mine does in its Quadlock induction charger in the car.

If it's like the RT it has a cooling fan in the phone cubby box.

Indeed it does. According to the blurb the fan activates at temperatures above 30 C.

The very noisy fan has been staying on well after the bike has been turned off at the ignition.

I think it has a pretty good test over the past weekend, clocking up 600 miles.

Indeed it does. According to the blurb the fan activates at temperatures above 30 C.

The very noisy fan has been staying on well after the bike has been turned off at the ignition.

I think it has a pretty good test over the past weekend, clocking up 600 miles.

Yes mine stays on a while after turning off.

This is the short USB-C to Apple iPhone connector lead that I have bought. It’s not perfect but it’s a lot better than the coiled up Apple lead of about 30 cm that I was using (bodging).

8bcfcf8a421dea9dca568fe75b2ef273.jpg

jut a thought, but a retractable (and easily reachable) lead installed for either android or Apple) at point of source. BMW should be up on this! Win

What I need, I think, is a short USB-C to a right angle Apple male….. or a smaller phone!

I am warming up my wallet for the inevitable.

The bike came with Bridgestone tyres, I think they are. I’d be surprised if the outlast they Metzeler tyres I am familiar with. They (front and rear) last 4,400 and no further.

Admittedly I ragged mine rotten, but 3.5k miles was it for the back tyre. Worth it though …

I've had a couple of K1600's, awesome machines but they lose so much money so quickly which is a total contrast to the GS. Is it too early to ask what the second hand market is like price wise for the new model?

Those leads, unless I have misunderstood it, are too long.

The flat lead I bought is OK at five inches. It would be near enough perfect if the Apple phone end was at a right angle.

BMW seem to do a lead (what a surprise) but I have no idea how much it is, nor it’s shape / length.

What I need, I think, is a short USB-C to a right angle Apple male….. or a smaller phone!

On a KTM 1290SAS, I use a short USB-C with a right angle micro USB fitted with a converter to Apple male. Works well and also gives me the option to charge Powerpacks as well just by removing the converter.

Back
Top Bottom