Brake shoe shuffle

Posh Pete

Still got a pulse.
UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
It's going to be one of those weekends! On Thursday, I decided to replace the rear shoes on the old GS. I usually phone and chat to the guys at Mwrks. This time I did it online ...

Brilliant service, the arrived Friday morning. After spending an hour or so faffing about, I checked the box ...

I ordered the wrong shoes! :(

Called Mwks. No problem, I'll pop the right ones in the post right now mate. Here's a return number for when you post the wrong uns back.

The correct shoes arrived this morning. Another hour or so faffing about and ...

There's a significant difference between the old and the new, especially in the smaller of the two brake shoes! :blast

Enough so that it doesn't engage properly on the cam!

For once, I can empathize with Tiger Woods!

I'm off for a ride on the RT!
0498635ae1f9cf279a6397026a6d8b8c.jpg

Sent from my moto e30 using Tapatalk

Top pic shows the original brake (the shorter of the two - they're assymetric). The top end is centred on the brake pivot and the lower end is resting nicely on the cam.
472c7b7c1c2274143983b1b3e5748ca2.jpg

Middle pic shows the new shoe (also the shorter one). It's well short of the cam.
63c0ec4e4325454cefbb50e4939d5684.jpg
a69708bb079b1a267300639762adbf20.jpg

Bottom pic shows the same shoe in the lower shoe position. Just in case I forgot where it went! :D

I note that this design was fitted to other BMs of the period. Surely they didn't have different brakes of the same design for different models? I clearly specified it was for my 88 100GS on the phone. Or has Mw just got a duff batch in from a supplier? Tomorrow's phone call will tell!

Watch this space! :augie

The mystery continues! After checking with the vin, mw reckon the shoes are the correct ones. Hmmmm ... I did a tracing of the old ones and laid the new ones on top. The radius is clearly different in the shorter / top shoes. It's not the camera angle, there is a significant difference. Do! Anyway, the old ones are going back on, pro tem.
ccf375d5fda72c70cd64c55feb29013a.jpg

Sent from my moto e30 using Tapatalk

Relining?

Get the old ones relined?
Bonus would be that you if you specified a softer material you might end up with a brake that actually works....

Is it possible that you have a non standard hub asembly on your bike? Some previousowner opted to change gearing or something?

Get the old ones relined?
Bonus would be that you if you specified a softer material you might end up with a brake that actually works....

It may well come to that. I've re-fitted them pro tem and the braking is all but non existent!

Is it possible that you have a non standard hub asembly on your bike? Some previousowner opted to change gearing or something?

Yeah, that's occurred to me. It's always a possibility with an old bike that's missing a fair chunk of history. The pre paid label from MW has just arrived so I'll be sending the new ones back along with the tracings I made of the old ones. Hopefully, they can use them to work out what's what! I'll keep y'all updated!

I believe you have 2-shock R65 etc 1981-on shoes there. EBC 861. The GS are a different shape and EBC 859.

The old shoes look like the new ones, bthey must be a different (older) variant on the 859. Your cam has a cover washer and spindle on a long support. On my non-GS, there is no washer and the spindle is straight into the cover.

https://ebcbrakes.com/motorbike/BMW/R%20100/

I got mine relined Pete with "the softest stuff we fit"
After a few cutting/wearing in trials and settling in the rear rear brake pedal now does a hell of a lot more than operate the brake light.
HTHY :thumby:

I believe you have 2-shock R65 etc 1981-on shoes there. EBC 861. The GS are a different shape and EBC 859.

The old shoes look like the new ones, bthey must be a different (older) variant on the 859. Your cam has a cover washer and spindle on a long support. On my non-GS, there is no washer and the spindle is straight into the cover.

https://ebcbrakes.com/motorbike/BMW/R%20100/

Ta for that. I wonder if someone has replaced the original cam in order to fit shoes they've had lying around? Time will tell ...

I got mine relined Pete with "the softest stuff we fit"
After a few cutting/wearing in trials and settling in the rear rear brake pedal now does a hell of a lot more than operate the brake light.
HTHY :thumby:

I think I'll be heading that way too, Mick. :thumb2

Heyup, It looks like you have the original cam for the mono G/S, you just need 859 size shoes. I think your old pads are that size, just an older design - that probably isn't available.

Back
Top Bottom