Euro Tunnel or Dover ferry

Jacal

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
I'm thinking about a little jaunt to Adenau, Eifel region in September and although I have always gone by the ferry from Hull, I'm contemplating riding down Sarf, and seeing that it's donkey years since I've gone this way, I was wondering which crossing people prefer, I know the fastest is the 'Chunnel' but some must like the ferry or it would go out of business, is it cheaper or what?
Any tips on best time and how to get the best ticket prices would be much appreciated
Also ; A quick glance at Google maps says it's 260ish miles and 4.5 hrs, anybody have a truer estimate of ride time from West Yorkshire.

Ferry is usually cheaper and I like it for a break and it feels like part of the holiday. I am usually in a van with bike inside though. On a bike the train is easier as its quicker and there is know need to tie the bike down.

Train anytime, be in France within 25 mins, no need to waste time on a ferry ....

After your 4 hour journey I’d reckon the ferry would suit you better.
Walk around, nice meal, sit on a proper seat etc

On the Dover route, Irish Ferries seem to be cheapest at the moment from anecdotal evidence in a Facebook group.

Treat the crossing much like the Hull one. Ride down and travel across the Channel on the same evening. Stay in France/Belgium which sets you up for an early start in the morning. St Omer is popular but depends on your route, where would be convenient. There are a bunch of chain hotels at the French side of the Tunnel which are fine for an overnight if you are crossing late. Avoid Calais town. Tunnel prices drop in the evening.

If travelling by motorway, go toll free via Lille/Mons. Brussels route is horrible. Personally, I'd do motorway to Mons then hook a right towards Givet and beyond.

Not too much difference on price, the benefit of the ferry as Monsieur alludes to, rest time, get some food, fresh air, ride the other side refreshed. Chances are the time saved on the tunnel will vanish after you've stopped at some shitty services in Belgium (and paid 2 euros to go for a slash)

If you’re using the ferry and staying that side then you can’t do better than the Bikers Loft.
An hour from Calais and there’s no “tourists” there.

I gave up the trek south years ago, it's a rotten journey. I have used the Hull to Zeebrugge service for many years (finished now I believe?) as it's just a quick dash across the M62, or a nice ride across country using the A59 making a leisurely day of it. I always felt in the holiday mood as soon as I boarded the ship, and then hit the bar. For the return journey we always had a night in Bruges prior to getting the ferry home next day.

On the Dover route, Irish Ferries seem to be cheapest at the moment from anecdotal evidence in a Facebook group.

Treat the crossing much like the Hull one. Ride down and travel across the Channel on the same evening. Stay in France/Belgium which sets you up for an early start in the morning. St Omer is popular but depends on your route, where would be convenient. There are a bunch of chain hotels at the French side of the Tunnel which are fine for an overnight if you are crossing late. Avoid Calais town. Tunnel prices drop in the evening.

If travelling by motorway, go toll free via Lille/Mons. Brussels route is horrible. Personally, I'd do motorway to Mons then hook a right towards Givet and beyond.

Why avoid Calais town? It’s fine in the evening and the Ibis styles has a secure car park. Friend of ours goes to Calais regularly and stays in a small hotel run by a local.

Hi Jacal. Sorry I've not got back to you re Germany but I'm just a twat.

What's made you decide to go South?

After being told about the pros and cons over the years and sticking with Hull ferries, "we" tried the Southern alternative, once for Germany and last, as no alternative, for Spain. As said, the Dover ferry is a nice break but other than that I'd never go South again, not for a gold pig. The trip down is fekkin horrible. Southern British drivers are horrible. The south smells . horrible.....cabbages and sewage. It's just fekkin horrendous. So, you've got a shit ride down, a welcome break on the ferry, then a shit ride out of France....a full day of shite at the end of which you're knackered ( especially so at your age)...…and I don't need to elaborate too much on the alternative....half hour to Hull, then 3 hours to Eupen turn off and job's a good un.

After your 4 hour journey I’d reckon the ferry would suit you better.
Walk around, nice meal, sit on a proper seat etc

Nice meal??? Not on any cross channel ferry I’ve been on. Tunnel every time now if I need to via the channel ands that after riding down from Newcastle.

Why avoid Calais town? It’s fine in the evening and the Ibis styles has a secure car park. Friend of ours goes to Calais regularly and stays in a small hotel run by a local.

You are the first to give an anecdotal review that is positive. St Omer has a Flemish vibe that I like.

After being told about the pros and cons over the years and sticking with Hull ferries, "we" tried the Southern alternative, once for Germany and last, as no alternative, for Spain. As said, the Dover ferry is a nice break but other than that I'd never go South again, not for a gold pig. The trip down is fekkin horrible. Southern British drivers are horrible. The south smells . horrible.....cabbages and sewage. It's just fekkin horrendous. So, you've got a shit ride down, a welcome break on the ferry, then a shit ride out of France....a full day of shite at the end of which you're knackered ( especially so at your age)...…and I don't need to elaborate too much on the alternative....half hour to Hull, then 3 hours to Eupen turn off and job's a good un.
Yea...Your right Timothy but believe it or not I had this crazy idea of doing 5 countries in one day BUT looks like that ain't going to happen 'soooo' thanks for all the replies guys but after travelling on the NSF since the 70s, I suppose I might as well continue...Thanks again lads.

Tim ya bugga! you missed a good trip in May, tho t'was a bit hot for riding at 35 degrees. I'm back in September, are you up for it or are you still trying to be a "Twat" :D

West Yorkshire here too, early start, Tunnel and stop in a Campanile "oaver wata"

I may be different but something about filtering on the M25 with a smile on my face. Then like I say..."West Yorkshire here" :rob

TD
:thumb

If ever anything was nailed...It was this :beerjug::D Succinct, concise and laden with facts.

You are the first to give an anecdotal review that is positive. St Omer has a Flemish vibe that I like.

Stayed in Calais town centre 10-12 years ago, while on a bike trip, no bother and a good night out in the town. Stayed 3 years ago, on the way to Austria in the car. I was lucky but there were a number of cars broken into in the car park. Secure car park but the hotel didn’t shut the gates!

Things have changed a lot in the last 10 years. Unfortunately a lot of desperate asylum seekers in/near Calais. I wouldn’t stay within 50 miles now. Too easy for a holiday to be ruined by an opportunist.

Things won’t change for the better until something is done to improve the conditions for those seeking a better life. Govt’s seem intent on making life more difficult for asylum seekers rather than helping them.

Strangely enough the French are blaming problems with the tunnel delaying a staff change from night levels of staffing to day levels.

Eurotunnel say yes, there was a problem but that’s not the reason for delays at Dover.

UKGSer say it’s all down to the French.

I know which one the EU hating tabloid press will be peddling so most on here will never know any different :blast

Back
Top Bottom