Euro breakdown cover

vee5

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
Currently planning a quick 3 day jaunt over to Holland for a beer festival and I've been blown away with how much euro breakdown cover costs! I've already got UK annual breakdown cover but my provider doesn't offer short term euro breakdown. I'm confident I wont be doing any other trips over to Europe in the next year so an annual policy is a waste of money. I just need about 3 days cover but the cheapest I've seen is about 40 quid and a lot want much more. Any suggestions?

Currently planning a quick 3 day jaunt over to Holland for a beer festival and I've been blown away with how much euro breakdown cover costs! I've already got UK annual breakdown cover but my provider doesn't offer short term euro breakdown. I'm confident I wont be doing any other trips over to Europe in the next year so an annual policy is a waste of money. I just need about 3 days cover but the cheapest I've seen is about 40 quid and a lot want much more. Any suggestions?

£40 vs £4000
its trifling when you have to pay out the latter for breaking down in timbukstan

if you dont want to pay the £40 then dont go abroad simples

Is £40 a lot for peace of mind whilst on the continent?
How much do you think it should be?

Sods law you don't pay it you break down! Then you will be wishing you had simples!

Sent from my SM-N976B using Tapatalk

Bin the current UK provider and buy an annual policy from LV Britannia including Europe for £63 - one named vehicle across Europe and personal cover in UK. No fees to change the named vehicle if you want to use a different one in Europe.

You have to buy via Moneysupermarket as this policy is not sold direct.

We use Rescuemycar.com. Full European cover any vehicle you own. Costs us around £130 a year. Sounds a lot but if you’re in Europe several times a year it isn’t. It’s less than the price of one breakdown.

Hmm an interesting range of responses there. I never said I was considering travelling abroad without cover and to be clear I have never done so, and never would. Like many others I'm feeling the effects of the income squeeze - I'm just looking for cheaper options. It seems that as my bike is now more than 10 years old the costs have hiked significantly. Indeed, Start (who I used to be with until earlier this year) won't even offer me a quote...

For those that responded with suggested breakdown service providers, many thanks. Wessie, I'd already got a quote for £40 for Green Flag via money supermarket, it looks like I'm being charged more for having an older bike which of course makes sense. LV Britannia sounds like a good option as it also gives personal cover in the UK which is what I need :thumb

There's a huge difference between tight budget and tight arse.

You can't get away with the excuse of feeling an income squeeze when you're planning a three day motorbike jaunt to Holland for a beer festival.

i have brought cover once , for a month away. otherwise , i don't .

i make sure the bike is as good as it can be , take some tools and a puncture repair kit , and be prepared to leave it in a ditch , if i have to.

most of my bikes are too old to get breakdown cover.

Why should older bikes get penalised when it comes to breakdown cover? they tend to be easier to fix at the side of the road than modern bikes full of electronics.

There's a huge difference between tight budget and tight arse.

You can't get away with the excuse of feeling an income squeeze when you're planning a three day motorbike jaunt to Holland for a beer festival.

1) It sounds like you are making a lot of assumptions about my personal circumstances, about which you know nothing. Maybe my circumstances have changed between arranging to go to the festival and now? Maybe other factors are at play also, about which you know nothing.

2) I posted a very straight forward question about whether cheaper euro breakdown cover was available and yet you are taking this as an opportunity to attack me for my own personal choices about the money I spend. Maybe you derive pleasure from doing so.

Why should older bikes get penalised when it comes to breakdown cover? they tend to be easier to fix at the side of the road than modern bikes full of electronics.

There's a cost to each call out. The stats probably show that call out rates go up the older the bike gets. Ergo, older bike = more expensive break down insurance. (Same goes for personal travel insurance - I've noticed the cost going up for that now I'm over 50 so more chance of me breaking down.)

I opened a Nationwide BS Flexplus joint current account. Gives me and the Mrs full UK and European AA breakdown cover for any vehicle we own including my R1150GSA which is now 20 years old. You also get worldwide travel and mobile phone insurance. There are the normal restrictions age, health issues etc.. so may not work for everyone but works for me. Cost is £13 a month, happy days:)

Off to Europe in the Hilux next month, Green flag came in at £75 for 3 weeks. Out of curiosity I checked the annual price, £80.

Rip off Britain!

Suggestion? Three….

1. Stay at home.
2. Moan a lot.
3. Fix this problem before departure: https://www.ukgser.com/community/threads/snapped-bolt-in-rear-gear-housing.364384/

Back
Top Bottom