Sena SRL - Mesh

Wapping

Reaction score
Following a thumbs up from Arsey (thank you, Martin) I bought the new Mesh kit and installed it into my Neotec II. Note: I found this easiest done by watching one of the DIY videos on YouTube.

Comments:

1. It fits really nicely into the Neotec II, without the sticking out lump that comes with other Bluetooth systems.

2. The USB-C charging point is less fiddly than the old micro-USB.

3. The pairing and reconnection with the Bluetooth on my new model 1600 is fast and reliable.

4. The sound quality (GPS instructions, phone and music) is excellent.

5. The volume control on the whirlywheel actually works to control the volume. This is something it didn’t do on my 850 nor via my Ultimate Ear Bluetooth in-ear monitors on my 1600. When I queried on UKGSer why it didn’t work, I was assured that it wouldn’t. Whatever the reason why it didn’t work but the new Mesh model does, I have no idea.

6. It is loud, if you really feel you must.

Is it better than my in-ear Bluetooth monitors? In that the volume control works, yes. With the monitors the only way to adjust the volume is through a small ‘box’ on the leads of the monitors. That is not easy (impossible) on the move. The monitors do have one advantage though, as they also act as earplugs.

At some point I will try the Mesh system itself out….. when I feel strong enough to read the instructions!

Marks out if 10 to date? A solid eight, only dropping two as I haven’t used the Mesh yet.

Following a thumbs up from Arsey (thank you, Martin) I bought the new Mesh kit and installed it into my Neotec II. Note: I found this easiest done by watching one of the DIY videos on YouTube.

Comments:

1. It fits really nicely into the Neotec II, without the sticking out lump that comes with other Bluetooth systems.

2. The USB-C charging point is less fiddly than the old micro-USB.

3. The pairing and reconnection with the Bluetooth on my new model 1600 is fast and reliable.

4. The sound quality (GPS instructions, phone and music) is excellent.

5. The volume control on the whirlywheel actually works to control the volume. This is something it didn’t do on my 850 nor via my Ultimate Ear Bluetooth in-ear monitors on my 1600. When I queried on UKGSer why it didn’t work, I was assured that it wouldn’t. Whatever the reason why it didn’t work but the new Mesh model does, I have no idea.

6. It is loud, if you really feel you must.

Is it better than my in-ear Bluetooth monitors? In that the volume control works, yes. With the monitors the only way to adjust the volume is through a small ‘box’ on the leads of the monitors. That is not easy (impossible) on the move. The monitors do have one advantage though, as they also act as earplugs.

At some point I will try the Mesh system itself out….. when I feel strong enough to read the instructions!

Marks out if 10 to date? A solid eight, only dropping two as I haven’t used the Mesh yet.

The mesh system is easy - press a button and hey presto you can chat with all and any biker mates on a mesh system without the need to pair anything

Top tip for mesh users create your own Chanel otherwise you will get everyfucker who has one nearby coming through the speakers

Thank you. Top tip that.

I amused myself when I had a hooky walkie-talkie with an external aerial on my Blackbird, winding up two bikermates. They could not work out who it was or where I was. I was the other side of the gorge. Happy days.

ON the SRL Mesh you simply press the button on the right side to the controller and you will hear a mesh connected and channel details via the posh speakers and that’s it, if someone is in range you connect. A great bit of kit.

Thanks for the comments. My reasons for buying the new kit were broadly the same as Arsey’s, so the Mesh to other bikes can wait for a bit.

That being said, if anyone is thinking about buying the new system, I’d certainly not hesitate to recommend it.

ON the SRL Mesh you simply press the button on the right side to the controller and you will hear a mesh connected and channel details via the posh speakers and that’s it, if someone is in range you connect. A great bit of kit.

Dont forget that when someone you don't know is chirruping away on a mesh Chanel

The immortal words of "Negative Ghost rider the pattern is full"

Lol this is true as 90% leave it on channel 1. The new app allows you to change the channel via your phone very easily.

I note it doesn't have an audio-out socket (unlike the 30K). Does the USB-C support audio-out?

No it’s just for the charge unit. Why do you want audio out though.

Probably because like many of us with hearing issues Sena have completely ignored that facility in later models, if you want an in helmet system it’s an owner modification or go without.

I’m afraid it is an owner modification that you’ll have to make.

I’d write to the manufacturer / go to their social media pages, pointing out the problem. Most companies are keen to avoid discrimination against people with a handicap of any sort, so they may well make the change for future models. :beerjug:

No it’s just for the charge unit. Why do you want audio out though.

Probably because like many of us with hearing issues Sena have completely ignored that facility in later models, if you want an in helmet system it’s an owner modification or go without.

If the mesh is important to you I note that you have adapted your existing set up to provide audio out, you could use the Sena + mesh to give you the mesh facility and keep your existing set up.

For info there is a new update 1.1

September 19, 2022
Added the Audio Boost setting
Added the Voice Assistant setting
Modified the Multifunction Button on the RC4 to control Mesh Intercom
Minor bug fix with Mesh Intercom not working properly after a phone call
Minor bug fix with skipping music tracks backward when disabling Music Sharing
Minor bug fix with the volume of voice prompts while listening to music
Minor bug fix with the user interface canceling Bixby voice commands on Android smartphones
Minor bug fix with the equalizer presets when synchronizing the volume with a smartphone
Minor bug fix with the charging LED on the WiFi Adapter
Minor bug fix with music quality when a GPS direction is heard during Bluetooth Intercom while Bluetooth Intercom Audio Multitasking is enabled

Seems to have addressed the music volume issues.

The mesh system is easy - press a button and hey presto you can chat with all and any biker mates on a mesh system without the need to pair anything

Top tip for mesh users create your own Chanel otherwise you will get everyfucker who has one nearby coming through the speakers

I've been using Sena Mesh in Spain over the last fortnight - top marks for ease of use, clarity and simplicity but less good score for battery life whilst in Mesh mode as it uses more power than in Bluetooth mode - a fully charged Sena 50s or 30k needed recharging via a powerbank, or connecting to the usb and charging en route as it would not last more than a few hours

As for interruptions from other Mesh users on the same channel, it proved to be less of a problem than I had feared. Waiting to board the Plymouth ferry in the company of 200 or so other bikers there was very little cross channel interference and I'd guess quite a few were using Mesh comms. Occasionally a bit of garbled chatter but not a problem

Back
Top Bottom