Clutch lever switch has failed . Any ideas how to fix it please?

dmilne

UKGSer Subscriber
Reaction score
The clutch lever switch
1. Disengages the Cruise Control.
2. Allows you to start the bike in gear (As opposed to in neutral)

After a lot of fannying around, repeatedly pressing, putting the side stand up and down..... I found that it's not the starter switch but the clutch switch.

OK now I can start the bike reliably again but only in neutral. This is sometimes a pain so I'd like to fix it -without help from BMW main stealers...

Anyone done this before or any ideas please?

Thanks
Dave

The clutch lever switch
1. Disengages the Cruise Control.
2. Allows you to start the bike in gear (As opposed to in neutral)

After a lot of fannying around, repeatedly pressing, putting the side stand up and down..... I found that it's not the starter switch but the clutch switch.

OK now I can start the bike reliably again but only in neutral. This is sometimes a pain so I'd like to fix it -without help from BMW main stealers...

Anyone done this before or any ideas please?

Thanks
Dave

Hi Dave,

Exact model, year and month of manufacture are a big help when trying to track down parts etc

i can see two types available, but as i dont know any more detail i cant say better than that .

repair / change would be depending on how dexterous you are.

On my GSs, there was an adjustment for the switch point of the clutch lever microswitch, needed a very small allen key.

It’s adjustable, and a very common problem easily fixed. Just grip it tight and move it slightly until you can start it in gear with the clutch held in.

Thank you Santa and all.
I've finally had the time to explore.
Taking the clutch lever off doesn't achieve much (I found) but does allow you to see WTF is happening .
To remove the actual switch, you need a no9 torx driver to remove the long screw, then the switch just pulls out.
Refitting it is a bit of a faf..
I just drowned it in WD40, bent the two levers away from the switch body, re assembled and now the clutch/neutral/in gear think works.
Don't know about the cruise control yet as it doesn't seem to work on the centre stand...

Thanks all !

Dave

Back
Top Bottom